In what I think most people would consider expected at this point in order to win against GPU juggernaut NVIDIA and AMD which is kicking ass once again, but Intel is promising millions of Arc GPUs for years to come.
PC Gamer mentioned the "nightmare GPU crisis" that has destroyed the GPU market, and while both companies can do everything they can, they're limited by multiple other factors that are out of their control. TSMC manufacturers everything for AMD and has been filled with orders for years, while facing supply shortages, and then NVIDIA is tapping Samsung which is facing the same (and more) issues.
But once Intel stomps onto the GPU market, it's going to be an issue of supply -- but now Intel GPU boss Raja Koduri has himself said: "I am with you, PC Gamer. This is a huge issue for PC gamers and the industry at large. Intel Graphics is working hard to find a path towards the mission - getting millions of Arc GPUs into the hands of PC gamers every year".
- Read more: GPU shipments to improve 'considerably' in summer 2022, not far away
- Read more: Bizzaro GPU world: we now have GPU loot boxes, in real life... sigh
- Read more: NVIDIA: GPU shortages improve in 2H 2022, as RTX 40 series launches
- Read more: GPU shipments are up 25% over last year, what GPU shortages?!
I don't know, it just sounds like PR speak like usual -- and while it's not Raja's fault -- I feel like Intel has one, single chance to make this right. There is no second chance, there's no screwing it up the first time and then saying "oh we've learned NOW and won't do it again".
Can Intel guarantee millions of GPUs per year when AMD cannot do the same thing? I don't know... I feel like we will be having multiple generations of Intel Arc GPUs where supply will improve over the years. But, no one saw the issues that would hit us with the pandemic, and now a totally new player is promising millions of Arc GPUs per year.
I truly hope it happens, as we need another player on the market and while the Arc Alchemist won't be damaging NVIDIA too much it will be hitting AMD. Intel's next-gen Arc Battlemage will be doing a better battle against Team Red and Team Green.
- Read more: Intel Arc Alchemist mobile GPU: 5 x SKUs up to 16GB GDDR6 @ 16Gbps
- Read more: Intel Arc Alchemist flagship GPU recently tested on Geekbench
- Read more: Say hello to the Intel Arc Alchemist flagship graphics card, for real
- Read more: Intel Arc Alchemist pricing: 'premium' GPU could cost $800 or so
- Read more: Intel Arc Alchemist reference card teased, Team Blue shaping up well
- Read more: Intel Arc Alchemist aXXX, Battlemage bXXX, Celestial cXXX naming tease
- Read more: Intel ARC Alchemist high-end GPU: 16GB of GDDR6, 8+6-pin PCIe power
- Read more: Intel ARC Alchemist battles RTX 3070, RX 6700 XT in new leaked slides
- Read more: Intel Alchemist character revealed, Xe-HPG gaming GPU gets a mascot
- Read more: Intel ARC Alchemist: perf close to RTX 3060, but things will change