In its chase towards being the best in everything, Samsung will break ground on its new foundry plant that will be making some of the most advanced chips in the world.
Samsung's new foundry will be built in Hwaseong, Gyeonggi Province, and will have the South Korean giant better fighting Taiwanese foundry giant TSMC. Samsung said that they're going to have a ceremony with around 100 local residents of Hwaseong on Friday to mark the ground breaking of the new plant.
Samsung has said: "The new plant is so far planned to be used largely for foundry production, but it can further be expanded for other productions later".
This new plant will see Samsung filling it with Extreme Ultraviolet (EUV) lithography equipment that is sourced from the Netherlands, which is the latest and greatest in nanometer process technologies. With this new EUV gear, Samsung will be capable of mass producing 7nm chips in 2019.
TSMC is the largest foundry chipmaker in the world, with a large 55% of the manufacturing pie. Samsung's new moves will see them catch up quickly, so the fight from their current position of 7% is going to be hard. Samsung is also teasing its 6nm, 5nm, and 4nm technologies that will see the light of day in 2020 and beyond.
Exclusive: AMD is making some changes to the way it has been running its Hollywood-connected side of things, with the company rolling AMD Studios into their graphics and workstation businesses.
In the middle of this Corporate Vice President, Media and Entertainment, AMD Studios, Roy Taylor, is leaving the company. AMD has said that they "thank Roy for all of his contributions to AMD, and we wish him all the best in his future endeavors". Taylor has held many positions within AMD over the years, joining the AMD ranks in 2013. There was no reason provided, with Roy just exiting the industry and not joining another company, at least for now.
As for AMD Studios, the company will be rolling these efforts into their graphics and workstation businesses, with expectations that it will create a stronger bond between the product, engineering, and enablement teams in order to get AMD products like Ryzen, Threadripper, EPYC, and the Radeon range of hardware into the media and entertainment industry.
Google has made a big change to their image search today, they have decided to remove the 'view image' button, making all of our lives just that little bit harder.
The 'view image' button was mostly a quality of life feature, giving access to the fulll resolution of the image without having to visit the website of the user that uploaded it. Now that feature has been removed we are forced into loading the website and visiting it.
To be completely fair, the initial removal makes sense as Google would of been harassed by numerous people asking for this feature to be removed. An example of people would be photographers, publishers or anyone that wanted their image strictly on their website and not stolen.
Samsung has lost its software engineer CTO to Google, with Injong Rhee joining Google to become an "Entrepreneur in Residence" at the search giant.
Rhee was with Samsung for seven years, and was integral to the development of not just Samsung Pay, but Samsung's Knox security platform. Rhee was also leading the deployment of Samsung's in-house AI assistant, Bixby.
Now that Rhee is at Google, he has said that he will be leading Internet of Things projects, but wouldn't provide any concrete details. Rhee will be reporting to Diane Greene, the CEO of Google Cloud, and will be pushing for a "concerted" strategy that will separate home and business IoT lineups.
Hawaii has been looking into the regulation of sales of games containing loot boxes to the youth, now the senate is pushing bills that would ban the sales of these games to people under 21.
It has been reported by the Hawaii Tribune Herald that there is four different bills in circulation that are being pushed. The first two which are titled House Bill 2686 and Senate Bill 3024 purpose a regulation on the sales of games containg loot boxes to only people above the age of 21.
The second pair of bills called House Bill 2727 and Senate Bill 3025 purposes a requirement for publishers to accurately label games that contain the loot box mechanic as well as the probability rates for each of the rewards.
Hawaii state representative Chriss Lee who is pushing each of these bills said "I grew up playing games my whole life. I've watched firsthand the evolution of the industry from one that seeks to create new things to one that's begun to exploit people, especially children, to maximize profit."
At Activision Blizzards earnings call today the company has revealed that they have made a profit of $4 billion in just microntransactions for 2017.
This $4 billion includes the sales of products such as DLC's, loot boxes, and in-app purchases such as mobile games. It should be noted that Activision Blizzard is a parent company of King, the company behind the highly successful Candy Crush.
Daniel Ahmad, an analyst at Niko Partners has taken to Twitter to say that $2 billion of the $4 billion that was announced was from King's mobile games such as Candy Crush. That leaves $2 billion from all other console and PC game content.
It's worth noting that around $2 billion of that is indeed from King's mobile games such as Candy Crush.— Daniel Ahmad (@ZhugeEX) February 8, 2018
But that still leaves another $2 billion from console and PC games add on content.
A Chinese man has plead guilty to the crimes of selling counterfeit Apple products in the US, the criminal received $1.1 million in payments before being caught.
Jianhua Li, currently living as a student in the US has plead guilty to trafficking in 40,000 counterfeit electronic devices from China between 2009 and 2014.
Li wasn't alone though, there was three others that were in on the deal, Andreina Becerra, Rosario LaMarca and Roberto Volpe which have all also plead guilty. According to Justice Department the group did their best to attempt in covering their trails, when the counterfeit devices were shipped the group made sure the counterfeit labels were shipped separately to avoid suspicion.
Update: Qualcomm acknoledges it has received the massive bid, with a huge reply in a PR statement just now:
Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM) ("Qualcomm" or the "Company") today confirmed that it has received a revised, non-binding, unsolicited proposal from Broadcom Limited (NASDAQ: AVGO) to acquire all outstanding shares of Qualcomm for $60.00 per share in cash and $22.00 per share in Broadcom stock.
Consistent with its fiduciary duties, the Qualcomm Board of Directors, in consultation with its financial and legal advisors, will review the revised proposal to determine the course of action it believes is in the best interests of the Company and its stockholders. Qualcomm will have no further comment on the proposal until its Board of Directors has completed its review.
On November 13, 2017, Qualcomm's Board of Directors unanimously rejected Broadcom's non-binding, unsolicited proposal to acquire Qualcomm for per share consideration of $60.00 in cash and $10.00 in Broadcom stock. After a comprehensive review, conducted in consultation with its financial and legal advisors, the Board concluded that Broadcom's proposal dramatically undervalues Qualcomm and comes with significant regulatory uncertainty, and therefore is not in the best interests of Qualcomm stockholders.
Goldman Sachs & Co. LLC, Evercore and Centerview Partners are acting as financial advisors to Qualcomm. Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP, Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP and DLA Piper LLP (US) are acting as legal advisors to Qualcomm.
Broadcom wants Qualcomm bad, and by bad, we mean really bad. Broadcom is reportedly meeting its advisers over the weekend in order to increase their takeover bid of Qualcomm to $80-82 per share, up from $70 per share previously.
This would land the takeover of Qualcomm in the vicinity of a huge $120 billion, which will see Broadcom getting more power to get the US tech giant to the negotiating table. Broadcom is also reportedly offering Qualcomm a higher-than-usual breakup fee in case regulators stop the deal, according to Reuters' sources.
Reuters' sources did add that Broadcom boss Hock Tan might "significantly change the terms at the last minute", with the same sources asking "not to be identified because the deliberations are confidential", reports Reuters.
Broadcom has said that it is "very confident" that a deal could be signed inside of 12 months, with Qualcomm saying that the deal could take over 18 months jumping through regulatory hoops around the world. Qualcomm is on the cusp of continiuing to take over the world with its push into the world of 5G connectivity, with Qualcomm arguing that Broadcom's takeover bis is still low, with Reuters saying that the hostile bid is "aimed at acquiring the company on the cheap".
Sprint recently announced they've teamed with Qualcomm to launch a nationwide 5G network in the US starting in the first half of 2019, and with Qualcomm's continued presence in the world of 5G, Broadcom is obviously wanting to get in early before Qualcomm heads towards being a trillion-dollar company.
Nintendo's earnings call has been jam-packed full of new information, one of the biggest subjects that was discussed was the paid online service coming to Nintendo Switch.
Nintendo announced their Nintendo Switch Online service that will debut this September. The service contains a bunch of extra benefits for Switch players, such as online gameplay, lobbies, voice chat and a "Classic Game Selection."
The service is only going to cost $20, and that isn't a monthly payment either, the $20 covers for a entire year of membership. It can be expected that in the coming months Nintendo will release a specific date or more information surrounding their Online Switch service, until then enjoy Nintendos' online services while you can.
We saw the Nintendo Switch back in December sell more than 1.5 million units in a month and now we learn from Nintendo's earnings call that the Nintendo Switch has beaten the lifetime sales margin of the Wii U.
Released 10 months ago back in March, the Nintendo Switch has reached more than 14.86 million unit sales before the end of 2017. This puts the Nintendo Switch ahead of the Wii U which is counted at 13.56 million units sold.
Game sales on the Nintendo Switch shared similar success with a massive 52.57 million games being sold on the hybrid console. Super Mario Odyssey reached took first place as most sold game, coming in with 9.06 million copies sold. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was second with 7.33 million and finally, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild with 6.7 million copies sold.