New rumors indicate Nintendo's next-gen NX handheld/console hybrid will have a split D-pad and a dedicated share button, and we have evidence to corroborate both claims.
Instead of using the traditional D-pad found on all DS handhelds and most controllers, the Nintendo NX's detachable controllers will use a D-pad split into four different sections--much like Sony's original PSP. That's according to an anonymous source per Let's Play Videogames.
The idea for this is simple: since the NX tablet's handheld has two detachable on either end, the logic is that each controller can be used by two people and that the split D-pad will mimic the A X B Y face buttons while a circle-pad style analog stick is used for movement.
We also have some evidence to back this up. A day ago we reported on a Foxconn worker who sketched Sony's new PS4 Neo. This worker said that Foxconn is also manufacturing a "PSP-like device," which is believed to be Nintendo's new NX handheld. As the PSP has a split D-pad, this could corroborate the NX's rumor.
The source also said that the Nintendo NX will have a dedicated share button like Sony's DualShock 4 to capture and share screenshots and video. Once again, we have more evidence to back this one up.
Nintendo has filed numerous patents for specific sharing technology that allows users to share instant video replays with friends, initiate competitions via the new MiiVerse network, and track high scores.
Users will be able to share data like high scores, videos, screenshots, drawings and more across a live MiiVerse network. All shared data will consist of a "sheet" of content including high scores (which can be cross-checked with live leaderboards), a grading system (stars, etc), customized user-created messages and drawings (think Miiverse sketches) and the ability to view replay video. All users will be able to share and publish these "sheets" of content. The above picture is a mock-up scheme that servers as an example of a shared post.
According to the patent, the NX will automatically start recording clips when certain conditions are set: "A user creates shared information when the user has cleared a stage or set a new record," which is quite similar to the Xbox One's achievement recording mechanic. Replay data will be viewed on the console's Wii U-like display controller.
Nintendo also has an idea on how to improve network latency and help facilitate this new social network stream. The company has recently successfully patented an external hardware upgrade box called a Supplemental Computing Device, which boosts network latency and CPU power.
The SCD also lets gamers share their network power with other players, which will likely be integrated as part of the new Nintendo Account and MiiVerse network.
Nintendo will unveil the NX sometime later this year, and the system is slated for a release in March 2017.
Check below for a huge list of everything we know about the NX so far, but remember that most of this information is gleaned from patents and rumors and remains unverified:
Everything we know about the Nintendo NX so far:
- Nintendo NX might be transforming hybrid handheld, not a console
- Nintendo NX prototype possibly was a tablet and docking station
- Nintendo admits it has to communicate better with the NX
- NX getting a MMORPG hints at home console component
- Nintendo NX graphics are between PS3 and PS4
- Nintendo NX will have Zelda, Mario and Pokemon games within 6 months
- Nintendo NX might support Pokemon Go and other mobile games
- Nintendo successfully patents external console upgrade box, could support the NX
- Ubisoft might've dropped some major Nintendo NX clues
- Nintendo is officially researching VR
- Nintendo NX might use both cartridges and discs
- Nintendo NX launches March 2017 globally
- Nintendo NX will launch with a 'full software lineup'
- Nintendo focusing on 'greatness of games' over hardware performance
- Nintendo says Zelda: Breath of the Wild will be an 'immediate reason' to buy an NX console
- Nintendo NX will powered by an NVIDIA Tegra processor, not an AMD chip
- The NX is rumored to feature gaming at 900p 60FPS with 4K video support
- The NX is rumored to use AMD's new 14nm Polaris GPU
- Devs claim the NX is incredibly easy to develop games for
- The NX won't have a disc drive, games will be on cartridges
- The console will also have a portable Wii U-like controller that allows gaming on-the-go somewhat like a 3DS
- The NX will support Frostbite, Unreal Engine 4 and Unity
- Nintendo's new console will also interact with smartphones and PCs as well as existing Nintendo hardware like the Wii U and 3DS handheld
- >> NEXT STORY: Euro Truck Simulator 2 with all DLC on sale for $15
- << PREVIOUS STORY: Apple ordered to pay €13bn in back taxes to Ireland