NVIDIA's new GeForce RTX 4090 is expected to be twice as fast as the second-fastest Ampere flagship -- the GeForce RTX 3090 -- but now we're hearing rumors it'll be OVER twice as fast.
In a new tweet, leaker "kopite7kimi" says that "nothing changed yet" with the GeForce RTX 4090 and that the "performance will be slightly higher than twice the RTX 3090". To clarify, he said "I mean RTX 4090 > 2x RTX 3090". Yeah, it can't get any clearer than that.
We already knew the GeForce RTX 4090 would be twice as fast, but OVER twice as fast isn't too much of a stretch. Not when we're hearing rumors that NVIDIA is testing an even faster AD102-based GPU with up to 800-900W of power. This is a TITAN-class Ada Lovelace GPU... so having headroom between "over twice as fast as the RTX 3090" and a new up-to-900W graphics card is making much, much more sense.
- Read more: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 rumor: August launch, RTX 4080 in September
- Read more: NVIDIA launch rumor: GeForce RTX 4090 first, RTX 4080 + RTX 4070 after
In this rumor, the same leaker said that there is "another full-fat AD102 SKU with 900W TGP, 48G 24Gbps GDDR6X, 2*16pin and higher frequency. But no one knows whether it will become an actual product. Because the test board of AD102 has more than two 16pin connectors, so everything is possible".
- Read more: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090: 16128 CUDA cores, 2x faster than RTX 3090
- Read more: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 latest spec rumor: 24GB GDDR6X @ 21Gbps, 600W+
- Read more: NVIDIA's next-gen GeForce RTX 4090: AD102 could push 100 TFLOPs+
- Read more: NVIDIA testing insane next-gen AD102 GPU: freaking 900W power!!!
- Read more: NVIDIA's next-gen GeForce RTX 4090, AD102 GPU: PCIe 4.0, not PCIe 5.0
- Read more: NVIDIA's new AD102-based GeForce RTX 4090: 600W+ power usage CONFIRMED
- Read more: NVIDIA's next-gen Ada Lovelace 'AD102' GPU 'has started testing'
- Read more: NVIDIA could skip GeForce RTX 40 series, right into RTX 50 series GPUs
- Read more: NVIDIA's next-gen GeForce RTX 4090 rumored to use new GDDR7 memory
- Read more: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 rumored with 'Infinity Cache' style cache
- Read more: NVIDIA's next-gen GeForce RTX 4090: 4K gaming at insane 400FPS+ teased
- > NEXT STORY: MetalFX upscaling: Apple's take on NVIDIA DLSS, AMD FSR, Intel XeSS
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Sony's Days Gone, Syphon Filter dev working on new multiplayer IP