UPDATE: Eurogamer has confirmed that the leaked PS4 Slim console is indeed genuine. Sony will unveil the new slimmer, thinner model on September 7.
It's looking pretty official: Sony might be making a PS4 Slim model alongside the new 4K ready PS4 Neo, and the alleged slim variant been spotted in the wild.
The PS4 Slim is, of course, slimmer and smaller than the PS4, but it comes with a disc drive. Even still you can tell that it's much smaller than the regular PS4, but it's also probably more efficient and features the same basic specs. and features a nice rounded design. We don't know what's inside the PS4 Slim--we're thinking it could be a mid-cycle refresh like the new Xbox One S's 16nm SoC and overclocked GPU, but remember that the PS4 Neo will likely be the S' competitor, not the PS4 Slim. Also remember that the PS4 Slim isn't meant to replace the existing PlayStation 4, so there could be some slim model downsizing going on we're not aware of, but the disc drive is still in place so I'm not sure what else they'd shave off.
Sadly the default model is the 500GB HDD, and we were hoping that Sony would get with the times and phase out the 500GB model in favor of bigger options. If the console is a fake, it's a pretty elaborate one: the hoaxer would have to go through the effort to make a fake console, a fake box, and shrink wrap all the accessories--everything looks pretty convincing to us, but remember there's a chance it's still a fake.
Sony is expected to announce the PS4 Neo console and the PS4 Slim at their PlayStation event on September 7.
Check out more PS4 Slim pics below, and a huge list of everything we know about Sony's new 4K ready PlayStation 4 Neo console:
Everything we know so far about the PlayStation 4K:
- CPU: 8 Jaguar Cores at 1.6GHz
- GPU: AMD GCN, 18 CUs at 800MHz (equivalent to Radeon HD 7850)
- Memory: 8 GB GDDR5, 176 GB/s
PS4 NEO / PS4K
- CPU: 8 Jaguar Cores at 2.1GHz
- GPU: Improved AMD GCN, 36 CUs at 911MHz (possibly built on heavily customized Polaris10 Ellesmere?)
- Memory: 8 GB GDDR5, 218 GB/s
- Sony's new PlayStation 4K costs $439, coming in October, says Amazon
- Leaked PS4 Neo slides from Sony reveal specs, 4K upscaling strategies
- PS4 Slim coming alongside PS4 Neo, reports claim
- PS4K is a PS4, won't shorten original console's life-cycle, says Sony
- Sony won't reveal PlayStation 4K at Gamescom, maybe at Tokyo Game Show
- Sony officially confirms new 4K-ready PlayStation 4K console
- PS4.5 would play Ultra HD Blu-ray, as well as 4K gaming and VR
- Sony's new PS4 sports 4K upscaling, upgraded CPU, GPU and RAM
- PlayStation 4K will launch before October 2016, says French wholesaler
- New PS4K info coming at TGS 2016, console reveal at Paris Games Week
- PlayStation 4K: Everything you need to know
- Sony's PlayStation Neo won't have exclusive games, shares PS4 library
- Could the PS4K be responsible for Sony's huge PS4 sales forecast?
- Sony's new PlayStation Neo is pissing off lots of developers
- PlayStation Neo games required to run at native 1080p minimum
- > NEXT STORY: New PS4 Slim may launch on September 14
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Rise of the Tomb Raider locked at 30FPS on the PS4