While the PS5 doesn't have an accessible browser app that lets you surf the web, you can still access web pages with a nifty trick.
The PS5 does have a web browser, but it's closed off. Push Square has now found a clever way to access the browser and pin it to your screen. This is basically the old-school Snap Mode feature from the OG Xbox One.
You can watch YouTube as you play, but other services like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video don't work. Just pin the webpage to your session and start up a game.
Pinning web pages to your gaming sessions is easy, and involves sending a message with a link to a friend and then clicking on the link. This launches the browser and opens the link. Sadly you can't actually change the URLs or web pages manually--the browser is locked to prevent exploits. The only way to go navigate to another website while inside the app is to click on a link in the open website.
Here's how you do this:
- Send a message to your friend with the desired website link (e.g. http://www.tweaktown.com)
- Click on the link to open the browser
- Press the Options button
- Select Pin to Side at the bottom
- Move the pane left or right and press X
The website is now pinned to your screen. The pin will stay as you play games or navigate the UI.
How to close the pin or change websites
Once the webpage is pinned, you can switch over to your gaming session by pressing the PS button. The pinned page is treated as a running application and will be at the start of the Control Center's card deck.
To change websites just send a new message with the desired hyperlink included.
- Press PS Button
- Select webpage (first card shown on the screen)
- Press Options -> Exit Pin to Side
- Or Press X on the card to view it full screen and click on other links
The browser doesn't support multiple tabs, so any sites with pop-ups won't work. You can actually have two browser windows open at once though.
Check below for our other PlayStation 5 coverage:
Here's more of our PS5 coverage, including some tricks and tips regarding saves:
- Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War and AC Valhalla both support native mouse and keyboard on PS5
- PlayStation 5 supports external USB mics, USB headsets with soundcards
- PS5 doesn't play PS4 game demos--that's why P.T. isn't supported
- PlayStation 5 doesn't support Bluetooth audio devices
- Here's how to manually eject a disc on PS5
- It's WAY too easy to accidentally switch to another game on PS5
- These PS5 games support new in-game Game Help strategy guide feature
- PS Plus is the only way to back up PS5 save games, no USB save exports
- PS4 save data missing on PS5? Here's how to get it back
- The PS5 does have a web browser, but you can't really access it
- The PS5 separates saves by gen, causes save files to not appear
- PS5: How to watch videos and listen to music from a USB drive
- PS5 can install and store both PS5 and PS4 games at the same time
- > NEXT STORY: Sonic franchise has sold 800 million games, toys, F2P and pachinko
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Check out this awesome custom Spider-Man Miles Morales PS5