We are getting closer and closer to AMD's big reveal of Big Navi / RDNA 2 and now we have yet another rumor to throw onto the ever-growing pile of hype.
The new rumor comes from Komachi and _rogame on Twitter, which have been teasing an 80 compute unit beast for AMD's next-gen Navi 21 GPU. With 80 compute units under the hood, we're looking at a huge 5120 stream processors which would really put the Big in Big Navi.
If AMD runs these 80 compute units and 5120 stream processors at 1700MHz, we'd be looking at a monstrous 17.5 TFLOPs of power.
Latest Big Navi / RDNA 2 highlights:
- Big Navi GPU samples are in for driver validation: This is something new, with reports suggesting that the "first validation sample was sent recently to Shanghai for driver development". This means that new rumors on Big Navi performance could be much more true than before, because AMD will now have a performance target for final revision cards.
- RDNA 2 = 40-50% faster than GeForce RTX 2080 Ti: We have rumored performance improvements inside of RDNA 2 that would make it 40-50% faster than the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. This is impressive, as the flagship Radeon RX 5700 XT is nowhere near the RTX 2080 Ti in raw performance. You can read more on that here.
- RDNA 2 = 195-225% faster than RDNA aka RX 5700 XT: RDNA 2 being a huge 195-225% faster than RDNA means that it will be a truly kick ass 4K gaming card, as well as being able to pump away at 1080p and 1440p resolutions at 120/144/165FPS much easier than the Radeon RX 5700 XT.
- 7% IPC improvement: AMD is bound to have at least 6-7% IPC improvement in RDNA 2 over RDNA, I would say 10% and above, but lowering estimates now will only improve what we think when AMD unleashes in November 2020.
- NVIDIA Killer? Maybe: If the rumors are true, then like what Jason Momoa said when he was asked if he thought the Snyder Cut of Justice League (now known and confirmed as Zack Snyder's Justice League releasing in 2021 as a HBO Max exclusive) then I have the following answer to the question is Big Navi an NVIDIA Killer: f*ck yeah.
- November 2020 launch: This is the key. November gives AMD a couple of months to see how Ampere does, and launch it when the next-gen consoles are launching in the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X. More on the November 2020 launch of RDNA 2 here.
Big Navi / RDNA 2 launching in November key points
- November 2020 launch: Firstly, AMD aiming for November means it puts the next-gen Radeon a couple of months behind NVIDIA is the rumors (and my sources) are true about an "August 2020 launch, September 2020 release" for the next-gen Ampere-based GeForce RTX 3000 series graphics cards.
- How AMD benefits from a November launch: It will allow the company to have a couple of months to see where NVIDIA has priced its next-gen cards, and to gauge how performance is once it hits the hands of customers. AMD would then have a couple of months to be ready for a possible KO blow (at least for 2020) with Big Navi.
- Thanksgiving launch: This is big for obvious reasons, but AMD being able to be inside of the next-gen Xbox Series X, the next-gen PlayStation 5, and have an NVIDIA Killer with Big Navi -- all for thanksgiving? What better gift can AMD bring to the table for Thanksgiving than that?!
- Launching alongside PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X: The stars have truly aligned for AMD to make this happen, and if performance of Big Navi is truly double that of RDNA1 and a 40-50% boost over the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti? Well, we could see AMD take out the end of 2020 with Intel and NVIDIA destroying products. Amazing.
- Lisa Su did say Big Navi was coming in 'late 2020': You can read more about that here, but November is pretty damn spot on with "late 2020", right?!
Quick RDNA 2 / Big Navi specs
- GPU cores: 72 SMs (two clusters of 36 CUs)
- GPU game clock: 2.05GHz
- GPU boost clock: 2.15GHz
- Power usage: 300W or so
- Performance: 40-50% faster than RTX 2080 Ti, 100% faster than RX 5700 XT
More reading on Big Navi / RDNA 2X:
- AMD's next-gen RDNA 2 'major leap forward' up to 225% faster than RDNA
- AMD aims Big Navi launch for November as 'show of strength' for RDNA 2
- AMD's next-gen RDNA 2 rumor: 40-50% faster than GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
- AMD Navi 31 spotted: is this Bigger Navi? GeForce RTX 3090 destroyer?!
- AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT: Big Navi costs $999 in these leaked slides
- AMD updates the Radeon logo, prepares for launch of RDNA 2 'Big Navi'
- AMD reitrerates Big Navi is coming to PC gamers in 'late 2020'
- AMD's new 'Sienna Cichlid' GPU turns up, could be Big Navi GPU
- AMD and NVIDIA to both launch next-gen GPUs in September 2020
- AMD: no blower reference fans for next-gen Radeon graphics cards
- AMD's new RDNA 2 graphics cards should beat NVIDIA, until Ampere
- AMD Big Navi specs: 5120 cores, 24GB HBM2e at 2TB/sec memory bandwidth
- AMD's new Korean RRA certification listing: our new Big Navi tease?
- Intel Xe GPU: up to 500W teased, beats Big Navi and GeForce RTX 3080?
- AMD rumored to announce Big Navi at Financial Analyst Day on March 5
- AMD: Big Navi GPU to disrupt 4K gaming like Ryzen CPUs did to Intel
- AMD Big Navi GPU: RTX 2080 Ti killer, but will lose to RTX 3080
- AMD CEO Dr. Lisa Su confirms we'll see 'Big Navi' in 2020
- AMD Radeon RX 5950 XT spotted, again: is this Big Navi?
- AMD Radeon GPU appears, beats GeForce RTX 2080 Ti by 17%
- AMD CEO Dr. Lisa Su: high-end GPU market is 'very important to us'
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor (AMD Ryzen 7 3700X)
- > NEXT STORY: Battletoads headed to PC and Xbox One on August 20
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Game Pass defines entire Xbox generation, drives year-by-year revenues