Up until now, we've been expecting AMD's next-gen Zen 4 architecture to have CPU cores topping out at the 96-core mark, but according to new rumors that's not the top -- 128 cores is the peak for Zen 4.
AMD's next-gen Zen 4 architecture will reportedly offer up to 128 cores and 256 threads, with the next-gen AMD EPYC "Genoa" CPUs offering up to 96 cores and 192 threads on the Zen 4 architecture. Genoa will still have 96 cores, but whatever this new CPU is, it won't be Genoa with its 128 cores and 256 threads.
A new Zen 4-powered EPYC or Threadripper CPU with 128C/256T will also support up to 12-channel DDR5-5200 memory. The current mockups of the AMD Genoa CPU have it with 12 CCDs, so a tweaked chip (and real, not the mockup) with room for 16 CCDs would unleash the 128 cores and 256 threads, up from the 96 cores and 192 threads with the 12 CCDs mockup of Genoa.
- Read more: AMD's next-gen RDNA 3 + Zen 4 architectures both launching in Q4 2022
- Read more: AMD Zen 4 desktop CPUs rumored for Q2 2022: new chips made on 5nm node
- Read more: AMD Ryzen 7000 'Raphael' CPU: Zen 4 cores + Navi2 GPU on 5nm
- Read more: AMD's next-gen Zen 4 CPU rumors: around 40% faster than Zen 3
- Read more: AMD Zen 4 EPYC CPU: 96 cores, 192 threads, 12-channel DDR5, PCIe 5.0
- Read more: AMD talks Zen 4 CPUs, after Zen 3 stomps all over Intel's best CPUs
- Read more: AMD's next-gen Zen 5 teased again, expect it in 2022
- Read more: TSMC rumored to make Intel 5nm CPUs in 2021, high-end 3nm CPUs in 2022
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core, 64-Thread Unlocked Desktop Proce (AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X)
- > NEXT STORY: The worst game ever made is coming back
- < PREVIOUS STORY: DOOM Eternal ray tracing + DLSS patch drops on June 29