Sony has confirmed the new 4K-ready PlayStation 4 Pro console will support the SATA III interface, doubling the read/write and data transfer speeds of the original PS4.
With SATA III support, the PlayStation 4 Pro's hard drive storage can hit read and write speeds of up to 6Gb/s, or 600MB per second. This means games can potentially start up faster and data transfers will be much quicker. This is a pretty big deal seeing as the PS4 Pro can take 4K screenshots and 1080p 30FPS video, and SATA III will ensure these bigger media files are transferred to USB sticks much faster than SATA II.
In order to hit native 4K and upscaled 4K in its games, Sony's PS4 Pro has modest hardware improvements over the original PS4, including a 4.20TFLOPs Polaris GPU that sits below an RX 470 (likely 16nm FinFET), boosted RAM, and an overclocked Jaguar CPU. Sadly, the PS4 Pro won't launch with a 4K UHD Blu-ray disc drive, and here's why.
The PS4 Pro won't have any exclusive games and will play all existing PS4 titles, with only a portion of older PS4 games getting upgrades like 1080p 60FPS and native 4K support--check out the full list of confirmed games here.
The PS4 Pro will ship with a 1TB SATA III drive when it launches on November 10, 2016 for $399.
Check out everything we know about the PS4 Pro below:
Original PS4 Specs
- CPU: 8 Jaguar Cores at 1.6GHz
- GPU: AMD GCN, 18 CUs at 800MHz (equivalent to Radeon HD 7850)
- Memory: 8 GB GDDR5, 176 GB/s
PS4 Pro Specs
- CPU: 8 Jaguar Cores at 2.1GHz
- GPU: 4.20 TFLOPs Polaris GPU
- Memory: 8 GB GDDR5, 218 GB/s
PS4 Pro: What we know so far:
- Double GPU power over existing PS4 models (roughly 2x AMD Radeon HD 7850)
- AMD Polaris GPU support
- 16nm FinFET APU likely
- CPU with boosted clock rate
- Higher memory bandwidth
- No 4K UHD Blu-ray player
- Launches November 10 for $399
- 4K resolution upscaling
- HDR support
- Higher frame rates, improved in-game performance across the board
- Plays all existing PS4 games, but not every PS4 game will leverage the new hardware for improved performance
- 1TB hard drive
Read more about Sony's PS4 Pro:
- Here's why Sony nixed PS4 Pro's 4K Blu-ray player
- PS4 Pro uses AMD Polaris GPU, sits below RX 470
- PS4 Pro FAQ: Sony explains the new $399 4K PS4 console
- 14 games have PS4 Pro support built-in so far
- Here's all the PS4 Pro upgraded games so far
- PS4 Pro won't play all PS4 games at 1080p 60FPS
- Mass Effect: Andromeda runs at 4K 30FPS on PS4 Pro
- Sony's new PS4 Pro rocks double GPU power, 4K and HDR
- Sony's high-end PS4 Pro costs $399, launches November 10
- Devs have final say on PS4 Pro's Forward Compatibility
- PS4 Pro specs: 4.2 TFLOPs, Jaguar CPU, 310W power draw
- Microsoft trolls PS4 Pro's lack of a 4K Blu-ray player
- Sony's PS4 Pro doesn't hit native 4K gaming
- >> NEXT STORY: Bright lights and mirrors interfere with PSVR tracking
- << PREVIOUS STORY: Valve showing off next-gen HTC Vive prototype controller
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.co.uk
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com.au
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.ca
Deutschland: Finde andere Technik- und Computerprodukte wie dieses auf Amazon.de