The next PlayStation 4 update is almost here, landing tomorrow, April 6th. System Software Update 3.5, codenamed Musashi, brings about some more social functions that should better allow you to play with your friends when they're online. The video below highlights some of the things you can look forward to in the newest update.
You'll now have the ability to actually appear offline even when you're perusing and doing other things, or just don't want to be bothered with play requests while going through a particularly tough part of Dark Souls III.
There's also a new notification system when friends are online, and you're able to quickly join a game with your friends when they're already in an online multiplayer session. One feature that they've added that's actually quite useful in its simplicity is being able to check on the status of the various PSN services. There's plenty more they added and you check out the whole list and descriptions of those features below. It's an incremental update, but if we're waiting on a PlayStation 4.5 that's 4K capable, then further updating will be in the works too.
- Appear Offline: On your Profile tab, Quick Menu and login screen, we've added a new option called 'Online Status.' From here, you can choose to 'Appear Offline.' This could be useful if, for example, you want to fully concentrate on your game or watch a movie without interruption. You will remain 'offline' until you chose to change your setting. Don't forget to turn it back on to fully experience your PS4.
- Friend Online Notification: Now you can choose to get notified when your friends come online. To receive notifications, access your Friends profile, press Options, and select 'Notify When Online.' For quick management of your entire Friends list choose to 'Select All' or 'Deselect All' of your friends via Settings > Notifications.
- User Scheduled Events: On the Events tab, we're adding the ability to schedule gameplay sessions with your friends. Just select 'Create Event,' and you'll be able to make an invitation for an upcoming gameplay session. Choose the day, time, game, and send it to individual friends or a Group. When your event starts, users who registered will automatically be added to a Party so you can start playing right away. You can also share an event to a Community. Once shared, the event will be posted to the Community wall and members can register from there. User Scheduled Events can also be created in the PS App.
- Play Together: This feature allows all members of a Party to see what each person is playing so that you can easily join a friend's game, or start a new game together.
- Remote Play (PC and Mac): With this update, we're expanding PS4's Remote Play capabilities to work with PC and Mac giving you more freedom and flexibility to play your PS4. Remote Play is compatible with the following system software: Windows 8.1, Windows 10 or later, OS X 10.10, OS X 10.11. The following resolutions and framerate options are available, depending on your internet bandwidth: Resolution options: 360p, 540p, 720p, Default resolution--540p, Frame rate: Standard (30fps), High (60fps), Default frame rate--Standard (30fps).
- Broadcast: You now have the option to broadcast to Dailymotion.
- Social Improvements: Share your friends' best moments to your feed for everyone to see...spread the glory. You can also tag players when you Share videos and screenshots to Facebook and Twitter, make sure your friends don't miss out on any of your great gaming moments.
- PSN Status: To quickly check the status of the PlayStation Network Services, you can view this via Settings > Network.
- Teen Account Creation: Teens (for those aged between 13 - 17 years) can now create their own account and start playing in offline mode until parents approve the account and complete the parental control set up at their leisure.
- PlayStation Plus Hub: Plus members can now enjoy easy access and management of their online storage. You can also see from your PS Plus Games which of your friends also play your monthly Plus games.