It looks like NVIDIA is preparing to add a new mode to DLSS with the rumored Ultra Quality mode for DLSS 188.8.131.52 spotted in some Unreal Engine 5 documentation.
The reference to DLSS and its new Ultra Quality mode was spotted by a Redditor, and would offer improved image quality over the Quality mode that DLSS offers right now. AMD just launched its new FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) with an Ultra Quality mode, so NVIDIA seems to be responding to that with its own Ultra Quality mode.
AMD and its in-house FSR technology will scale the resolution by 1.3x under the Ultra Quality mode, compared to 1.5x with Quality -- the same 1.5x scaling that NVIDIA DLSS does with its Quality mode. NVIDIA's new Ultra Quality mode for DLSS will offer the highest image quality possible, better than the native resolution of your monitor -- but with more performance.
- Read more: NVIDIA GeForce 471.11 drivers add ray tracing + DLSS for DOOM Eternal
- Read more: NVIDIA DLSS July 2021 Update: There Are Now 55+ Games Powered by DLSS
- Read more: AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution: Team Red Begins Fighting NVIDIA DLSS
The latest version of DLSS is 184.108.40.206 which you'll find in just two games right now: Rainbow Six Siege and Lego Builder's Journey, both of which just received NVIDIA DLSS updates. You can actually tweak a single DLSS file in the game directory, upgrading the version of DLSS to 220.127.116.11 -- the new version of DLSS that has its new Ultra Quality mode.
The new NVIDIA DLSS 18.104.22.168 has already been tested very quickly by Alexander Battaglia from Digital Foundry, which you can see in the image above.
MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Gaming X Trio 12G (RTX 3080 Ti Gaming X Trio 12G)
- > NEXT STORY: Diablo IV's new player customization is perfect for microtransactions
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Flight Simulator engine re-write doubles FPS, reduces CPU, RAM usage