Our DualSense controller is now afflicted with stick drift after 3 weeks of play. We don't know how to fix it, but we can confirm these popular internet "fixes" don't actually work.
The PS5's DualSense controller really is a game-changer...when it works. The haptic feedback, advanced rumble, and new adaptive triggers really add a new level of immersion to play. None of this matters if your sticks start to drift. You simply can't play a PS5 game when you're fighting the camera the entire time, and the DualShock 4 isn't usable with PS5 games. So you're left with two options: send the controller into Sony for repairs, or buy another controller from the store.
Lots of people are reporting DualSense stick drift, and we're one of them. Our DualSense's right stick has started to severely drift, causing most games to be unplayable. Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Black Ops Cold War, and even Spider-Man Miles Morales have turned into exercises of frustration.
The online tips simply don't work.
Resetting your controller manually by poking it with a safety pin doesn't work. Turning Bluetooth on and off on the PS5 console doesn't work. Cleaning it doesn't work (I've tried with wipes and with canned air to no avail).
So far as I can tell, the controller is just faulty and needs to be repaired by Sony. There's no new firmware update for the controller (I tried that route).
The annoying this is that I only used the DualSense when playing PS5 games. I used the controller somewhat sparingly, and all menu navigation/console UI testing was done with a keyboard or with a DualShock 4.
This really isn't a surprise. The DualSense uses the same analog sticks as the DualShock 4 so stick drift is definitely a possibility.
So if your DualSense starts drifting...don't hold out much hope. It's likely broken. Let's hope someone like TronixFix can help later down the line.
Here's more of our PS5 coverage, including some tricks and tips regarding saves:
- Is the PS5 spying on you? Here's how to tweak PS5 privacy/mic settings
- PS5 lets you watch YouTube as you play games on the same screen
- New PS5 firmware update fixes game deletion glitch, charging issues
- Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War and AC Valhalla both support native mouse and keyboard on PS5
- PlayStation 5 supports external USB mics, USB headsets with soundcards
- PS5 doesn't play PS4 game demos--that's why P.T. isn't supported
- PlayStation 5 doesn't support Bluetooth audio devices
- Here's how to manually eject a disc on PS5
- It's WAY too easy to accidentally switch to another game on PS5
- These PS5 games support new in-game Game Help strategy guide feature
- PS Plus is the only way to back up PS5 save games, no USB save exports
- PS4 save data missing on PS5? Here's how to get it back
- The PS5 does have a web browser, but you can't really access it
- The PS5 separates saves by gen, causes save files to not appear
- PS5: How to watch videos and listen to music from a USB drive
- PS5 can install and store both PS5 and PS4 games at the same time
- > NEXT STORY: Cyberpunk 2077 will have a huge 43GB update soon after launch
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Spider-Man Miles Morales PS5 saves aren't compatible with PS4 version