Puzzle games, you either like them or never play them. I was of the latter opinion until Zoo Keeper changed my mind on the DS. I was absolutely surprised that the best launch DS game happened to be a puzzle game and this appears to again have happened with the PSP. Not only is Lumines one of the most innovative games around, it is a game that is perfect for portable play and is in our opinion the best PSP game launching day one with the system.
Lumines doesn't really have a storyline, but not many puzzle games do. Instead it gives you a quick tutorial video and throws you into the game. We actually skipped the tutorial and got right into the gameplay, figuring out the mechanics right away. This is always an excellent indication of pick up and play ability and Lumines has this in spades.
The mechanics of Lumines reminds us quite a bit of Tetris but with a few key changes. First of all the aim is to get a box of four squares the same colour which are then eliminated. This is a bit harder than getting lines as in Tetris, and first off you will find the game a little hard but once you figure out small nuances such as the fact that the blocks divide when they hit each other, you will be playing like a pro in no time.
The key factor to Lumines is the music. How you play affects how the music plays. If you pull off a particularly good move, a new beat will be added to the music. Also, as you last longer in each game you will move into new songs so the aim of the game really is to survive as long as possible to unlock new items to play with.
The visuals of the game change as the music changes but overall it's not exactly a poster child for the PSP power. What Lumines does though is it gives you a portable game which you can pick up and put down anytime. The problem is you won't want to put it down.
Lumines is a game that many people will unfortunately ignore but we can almost guarantee once you've captured all the monkeys, won all the races in Ridge Racer, grinded all the boards and finished all the underground races, you will still be playing Lumines.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo shows off most downloaded eShop games
- Battlefield 1: Apocalypse DLC details aerial dogfights
- Nintendo Switch sells 1.5 million units last month
- Epic Games doubts the success of their own MOBA Paragon
- Age of Empires: Definitive Edition will release next month
- The GIGABYTE Z370N WIFI (Intel Z370) Motherboard Review
- noblechairs ICON Series Real Leather Gaming Chair Review
- GIGABYTE X299 Designare EX (Intel X299) Motherboard Review
- Realtek sound not working all of a sudden
- Intel Z370 Motherboard Buyer's Guide
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series