Nintendo has gamers excited with the possibilities of their next-gen NX console, but we know nothing concrete so far - but now there are reports that an Nintendo NX prototype featured a 6.2-inch 720p multi-touchscreen.
The report is coming from Emily Rogers, who some refer to as a 'Nintendo insider', with Rogers tweeting that the "NX prototype had a 6.2 inch 720p multi-touch touchscreen. Unknown if final product's screen size will be larger / smaller than prototype". The more interesting tweet from Rogers teased that the NX prototype featured a docking station for USB ports, with the prototype at the time reportedly having two USB ports. Rogers' previous information hasn't been correct, but she has landed some reports that turned out to be true.
Derek and I have talked about this behind the scenes for a while now, and I've been telling him that NX would feature a docking station of some sort. I think if Nintendo wants to succeed, it needs to truly stand out from Microsoft and Sony as the Xbox Scorpio and PS4 Neo will be powerhouses compared to the usually conservative Nintendo.
The docking station for NX could have USB ports, and more - we could see multiple NX tablets/controllers connecting to the docking station for same-room multiplayer, just like the old days. VR or AR could be a center focus for Nintendo, especially if it wants to compete with the 4K graphics and VR-ready consoles that its competitors have coming in 2017.
Come on, Nintendo - you can do it. Blow us away!
Check below for a massive list of everything we know about the Nintendo NX so far, but remember that a lot of this information hasn't been officially verified:
Everything we know about the Nintendo NX so far:
- Nintendo NX might be transforming hybrid handheld, not a console
- Nintendo NX graphics are between PS3 and PS4
- Nintendo NX will have Zelda, Mario and Pokemon games within 6 months
- Nintendo NX might support Pokemon Go and other mobile games
- Nintendo successfully patents external console upgrade box, could support the NX
- Ubisoft might've dropped some major Nintendo NX clues
- Nintendo is officially researching VR
- Nintendo NX might use both cartridges and discs
- Nintendo NX launches March 2017 globally
- Nintendo NX will launch with a 'full software lineup'
- Nintendo focusing on 'greatness of games' over hardware performance
- Nintendo says Zelda: Breath of the Wild will be an 'immediate reason' to buy an NX console
- Nintendo NX will powered by an NVIDIA Tegra processor, not an AMD chip
- The NX is rumored to feature gaming at 900p 60FPS with 4K video support
- The NX is rumored to use AMD's new 14nm Polaris GPU
- Devs claim the NX is incredibly easy to develop games for
- The NX won't have a disc drive, games will be on cartridges
- The console will also have a portable Wii U-like controller that allows gaming on-the-go somewhat like a 3DS
- The NX will support Frostbite, Unreal Engine 4 and Unity
- Nintendo's new console will also interact with smartphones and PCs as well as existing Nintendo hardware like the Wii U and 3DS handheld