BioWare's new mysterious IP may be action-based instead of an RPG, fitting neatly into EA's new action-oriented focus.
The slide examines the genres of today's current games, with EA affirming its commitment to the action genre. BioWare is listed under the action genre, which is curious considering Mass Effect: Andromeda is an RPG game. Now this all depends on how EA defines ME: Andromeda and whether or not they see it as an "action RPG" or just an "RPG". If it's the latter, then BioWare's brand new IP could be set in the action genre.
BioWare dev Mark Darrah recently teased the new IP on Twitter, showing us an internal dev document with a curious icon upon its cover. Darrah also asked the community if they'd play a Dragon Age: Tactics game, but seeing as the game is a new IP, it shouldn't be tethered to any existing franchise.
EA has also confirmed that a new unannounced IP is set to release in 2017 (presumably BioWare's mystery IP) with a reveal during EA Play in June.
Personally, I think BioWare should just keep doing RPGs. It's what they're best at. I'd like to see a return to the triumphant old days of Dragon Age: Origins, and I know I'm not alone. Sadly, we probably won't ever see EA push into true RPG ground ever again simply because it's not really lucrative or popular. The casualized action-based RPG content of Dragon Age: Inquisition is the best we'll likely ever get.
Here's everything we know about BioWare's new IP so far:
- BioWare's mysterious new IP in playable state, looks 'stunning'
- BioWare is 'getting down to actual writing' on its secret new game
- BioWare subtely teased it's new game at GDC, and no one noticed it
- BioWare is working on a new IP with extensive online components
- BioWare dev teases new game, could be new IP or Dragon Age: Tactics
Last updated: Dec 18, 2019 at 01:05 pm CST
- Mass Effect writer: BioWare's new games are based on market research
- BioWare: We have so many Mass Effect ideas and stories yet to tell
- BioWare plans to save Anthem with The Taken King-style expansion
- Frostbite was a big roadblock for BioWare, was 'very hard to manage'
- Mass Effect wishlist: What we want to see in Mass Effect 5
- > NEXT STORY: Meet Ludens, Kojima Production's new official mascot
- < PREVIOUS STORY: EA wants to monetize spectating in competitive gaming