The ASRock Z170 OC Formula has a long legacy, and their Z170 OC Formula is easy to work with. I used this motherboard for memory testing in this guide.
ASRock's OC buttons are very useful for on-the-fly overclocking. If you would like a more in-depth look at the board, the review is here. One unique feature of the Z170 OC Formula is its ability to change VCore on-the-fly through "Rapid OC" buttons, which work off a software OSD and menu button.
ASRock's LLC is quite aggressive.
BIOS Special OC Profiles
Here are some special profiles for extreme overclocking for the CPU, there are also "Optimized OC Setting" which are more tailored towards normal overclocks that use air/water cooling.
ASRock also provides a large number of extreme memory overclocking profiles for different types of memory.
BIOS Power Savings
ASRock's EIST and Turbo are located in their OC Tweaker area, but C States are located under CPU Configuration. I would not disable EIST or C-States to maintain constant maximum CPU clock in-Windows; instead, I would go to the control panel and change the power plan to "High Performance".
BIOS PWM Options
ASRock does provide PWM options to expand PWM switching frequency, phase control, and overcurrent protection (OCP). You can try expanding these if you do more extreme overclocking, but I didn't find any reason to adjust them. In fact, ASRock's UEFi is set to automatically adjust these by itself.
ASRock's Rapid OC provides functionality for the Menu, Plus, and Minus buttons on the motherboard. With the software installed and in the background you can increase and decrease CPU ratio, cache ratio, and VCore on-the-fly with the buttons. ASRock also provides other overclocking settings through their Formula Drive software. ASRock's Timings Configurator provides memory timing information.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction to Skylake Overclocking]
- Page 2 [Disclaimer and Before You Begin Overclocking]
- Page 3 [Overclocking Flow Chart, Non-K SKUs, BCLK, and Multipliers]
- Page 4 [BCLK, Core, Cache, Memory, and FCLK Scaling]
- Page 5 [Skylake Overclocking Voltages]
- Page 6 [Power Savings and Voltage/Power Analysis]
- Page 7 [The Durability of Intel's 14nm Node]
- Page 8 [Skylake Memory Overclocking: Corsair and Frequency Scaling]
- Page 9 [Skylake Memory Overclocking: G.Skill and Memory Timings]
- Page 10 [ASRock Z170 Overclocking: Z170 OC Formula]
- Page 11 [ASUS Z170 Overclocking: Maximus VIII Extreme]
- Page 12 [EVGA Z170 Overclocking: Z170 Classified 4-Way]
- Page 13 [GIGABYTE Z170 Overclocking: Z170X-SOC Force]
- Page 14 [MSI Z170 Overclocking: Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM EDITION]
- Page 15 [Stability Testing, Delidding, Crashing, and Throttling]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Street Fighter V players upgraded to the Arcade Edition
- Star Wars Battlefront 2 patch 1.1 brings stability all round
- Civilization VI: Rise and Fall new details fully explained
- Dynasty Warriors 9 reveals a massive open world with trailer
- Dragon Ball FighterZ will have another 24 hours of open beta
- The Coffee Lake Overclocking Guide
- X99-Gaming-5P 6850K 128G Ram - Help Overclock
- Which one is Best laptop in my Budget
- ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac LGA 1150 major problems starting screen flickers > Freezes up win 10
- Phison E8 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Preview
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series