The ASRock Z170 OC Formula has a long legacy, and their Z170 OC Formula is easy to work with. I used this motherboard for memory testing in this guide.
ASRock's OC buttons are very useful for on-the-fly overclocking. If you would like a more in-depth look at the board, the review is here. One unique feature of the Z170 OC Formula is its ability to change VCore on-the-fly through "Rapid OC" buttons, which work off a software OSD and menu button.
ASRock's LLC is quite aggressive.
BIOS Special OC Profiles
Here are some special profiles for extreme overclocking for the CPU, there are also "Optimized OC Setting" which are more tailored towards normal overclocks that use air/water cooling.
ASRock also provides a large number of extreme memory overclocking profiles for different types of memory.
BIOS Power Savings
ASRock's EIST and Turbo are located in their OC Tweaker area, but C States are located under CPU Configuration. I would not disable EIST or C-States to maintain constant maximum CPU clock in-Windows; instead, I would go to the control panel and change the power plan to "High Performance".
BIOS PWM Options
ASRock does provide PWM options to expand PWM switching frequency, phase control, and overcurrent protection (OCP). You can try expanding these if you do more extreme overclocking, but I didn't find any reason to adjust them. In fact, ASRock's UEFi is set to automatically adjust these by itself.
ASRock's Rapid OC provides functionality for the Menu, Plus, and Minus buttons on the motherboard. With the software installed and in the background you can increase and decrease CPU ratio, cache ratio, and VCore on-the-fly with the buttons. ASRock also provides other overclocking settings through their Formula Drive software. ASRock's Timings Configurator provides memory timing information.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction to Skylake Overclocking]
- Page 2 [Disclaimer and Before You Begin Overclocking]
- Page 3 [Overclocking Flow Chart, Non-K SKUs, BCLK, and Multipliers]
- Page 4 [BCLK, Core, Cache, Memory, and FCLK Scaling]
- Page 5 [Skylake Overclocking Voltages]
- Page 6 [Power Savings and Voltage/Power Analysis]
- Page 7 [The Durability of Intel's 14nm Node]
- Page 8 [Skylake Memory Overclocking: Corsair and Frequency Scaling]
- Page 9 [Skylake Memory Overclocking: G.Skill and Memory Timings]
- Page 10 [ASRock Z170 Overclocking: Z170 OC Formula]
- Page 11 [ASUS Z170 Overclocking: Maximus VIII Extreme]
- Page 12 [EVGA Z170 Overclocking: Z170 Classified 4-Way]
- Page 13 [GIGABYTE Z170 Overclocking: Z170X-SOC Force]
- Page 14 [MSI Z170 Overclocking: Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM EDITION]
- Page 15 [Stability Testing, Delidding, Crashing, and Throttling]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Spider-Man 'The Heist' DLC adds 3 suits, October 23rd launch
- SEGA won't over rely on remasters and remakes
- Hacked Switches can now use USB mass storage HDDs
- Battlefield V's new War Stories trailer shows WWII drama
- No Man's Sky VR? Hello Games wants to know if you want it
- ASRock A320M-DGS + Ryzen 5 2600 budget upgrade with older video card?
- Default Netgear Wireless WG111 Issue
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Review: The Perfect Card For 1440p
- Computer will not turn on.
- Netgear Wireless WG111 Issue
- OnDeck Launches ODX for Banks
- Adobe Announces Next Generation of Creative Cloud at MAX 2018
- Sharkoon PURE STEEL: Minimalist PC Case for High-End Hardware
- Xara Designer Pro X v16 has been released
- Endless Road: Indie roguelite card game now on Steam