A few years ago the worlds best chess player Gary Kasparov took on Big Blue from IBM proving that computers can actually play the game. Unfortunately the Playstation 2 doesn’t have the power of Big Blue but unless your Kasparov himself this title will still offer a formidable challenge.
This game is quite basic and that is acceptable given the budget price. There is only one mode of play and that is traditional chess. The CPU offers varying difficulty level from practice to help you learn the game right up to a level where even some of the more seasoned chess players may find a challenge. Chess can also be played by 2 players on the same Playstation 2 console.
Visually Chess is fairly basic but it gets the job done. Animations like those featured in the old PC game battle chess would have been a welcome addition and possibly spread the appeal of this game to beyond those who regularly play chess. Animations do occur but mainly consist of a piece taking another piece off the table during a move. The game does let players set time limits for moves and also the game itself. This only becomes useful in the multiplayer sessions with friends as the AI featured in Chess will usually make its move almost instantaneously after yours.
Those who like Chess and have a Playstation 2 should pick this up. Even if you don’t have a love of the sport but occasionally dabble in a game or two then at the budget price this should also be on your shopping list and even those who want to learn the sport. The varying levels of difficulty can build players from novice to professional over a period of time It’s also quicker then setting up the real board game!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- GIGABYTE release new Gemini Lake based J/N motherboards
- God of War director confirms no season pass for the release
- Trailer for Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition released
- COLORFUL's new CGU 2018 eSports event might include PUBG
- Cygames shows off Granblue Fantasy's combat in all its glory
- When is a RX570 not a RX570?
- ASRock X370 Gaming-ITX/ac Gaming (AMD X370) Motherboard
- Z270 Extreme 4 post issue
- NVIDIA's next-gen TITAN X should rock 16GB GDDR6 at 14Gbps
- SuperData Analyst Interview on Call of Duty: WWII Success
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series