Chad's CPU Cooler Test System Specifications
- Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus VIII HERO (Intel Z170) - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Memory: Patriot Viper 4 3000MHz 4X4GB - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Graphics Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB OC - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Storage: Corsair Neutron XTi 480GB - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Case: INWIN D-Frame - Read our review
- Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower DPS 1050W - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit - Buy from Amazon
- Software: RealTemp 3.70, AIDA64 Engineer 5.75.3900, and CPU-z 1.77.0 x64
To see our testing methodology and to find out what goes into making our charts, please refer to our CPU Cooler Testing and Methodology article (October 2016) for more information.
Using iCUE to set the fans and the pump to run in Quiet, Balanced, or Extreme modes with the system running at stock, the results in the chart are what we saw. Quiet results are fair at 55.75-degrees, but the Balanced performance is a degree and a half better still, breaking into the top ten. However, if you opt for the Extreme mode, you get into the top three coolers in the chart at 52.5-degrees.
Obtaining these results is much the same as the first chart, using iCUE to set the mode, but this time the Pc has been overclocked. In Quiet mode, the H115i RGB platinum does well, but not great. A two-degree difference is where the Balanced mode comes in at 70.5-degrees, and in Extreme mode, the 68.75-degree result is excellent, although in fourth place overall.
While not gaining a single change in temperature, we did take the time to run the H115i RGB Platinum at full speed. Using iCUE, we set the fans and the pump to run at 100%, via a slider found ion the software. It proves that Corsair has their Extreme profile fan curves set to the best it can offer, and you deal with slightly less noise as well.
Noise Level Results
Quiet mode gave us the least noise at 26dB, and the highest we saw the fans spinning was 600 RPM. The Balanced mode allows the fans to turn faster, seeing them at 880 RPM, while delivering 28dB, both very acceptable results. However, when we let Extreme mode rip, the fans jumped to 1800 RPM with a droning noise at 50 dB. These results are with the PC at stock clocks.
Applying the overclock, things change quite a bit. Quiet mode is still acceptable at 27 dB while the fans are at 730 RPM. Balanced mode takes a hit with a jump to 31 dB with fans turning at 1120 RPM. Using the Extreme setting takes the fans to 56 dB as the fans spun at 1960 RPM.
Running the cooler with the pump maxed out at 2950 RPM, and the fans were turning at 2080 RPM the 60 dB noise of the fans overpower the 30 dB coming from the pump. With the increase in noise and the lack of advancement in temperatures, there is no need to put your ears through this.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Corsair H115i RGB Platinum CPU Cooler]
- Page 4 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 5 [Installation and Finished Product]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup, Thermal Tests, and Noise Results]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Smash Bros. Ultimate/Pokemon: Let's Go to bump Switch sales
- Nintendo celebrate 1,000 games on Switch with new trailer
- SCDKey celebrates Black Friday with cheap OS/game keys
- Playground Games discusses benefits of Microsoft ownership
- Nintendo has no immediate plans for N64 mini
- G-Technology Mobile SSD R Series 1TB Review
- Asus 2-in-1 Q524UQ
- AMD Radeon RX 590 Review: The Refresh Of A Refresh Is Here
- Gigabyte Psu buzzing?
- Netgear Insight Business Storage and Networking Management
- Kolumno is now available on PC, mobile and Smart TVs
- Wolfalone Studio announces Darwin's Test!
- World's Top PUBG MOBILE Players Head to Dubai For PUBG MOBILE 'STAR CHALLENGE' Global Finals, Tickets On Sale NowWorld's Top PUBG MOBILE Players Head to Dubai For PUBG MOBILE 'STAR CHALLENGE' Global Finals, Tickets On Sale Now
- Nexon Secures Global Publishing Rights For Pokelabo, Square Enix-Developed SinoAlice
- Makeblock Announces Educational Partnership with Gratnells Storage Solutions