I've said it before and I will say it again, digital power supplies are where the industry is headed. Those that have chosen to adopt and create the technology first are way ahead of the curve right now and in a few years, this is what others will be playing catch up on. Right now, the only two companies that have digitally controlled and monitored consumer units on the market are Corsair and Thermaltake. Both are working feverishly to stay ahead of the curve and the unit that we have today is another effort at doing just that.
The Toughpower DPS G series from Thermaltake is their second iteration of digital power supplies. The first was only available in a select few wattages, but the new series covers a much broader range of outputs, and as such, it should appeal to quite a few more who are interested in a digital unit. Thermaltake is offering the Toughpower DPS G in wattages ranging from 450W all the way up to 1050W. If that doesn't cover most of the PC market, I don't know what does.
For those wondering what the differences are over the DPS G series compared to the DPS series, it is relatively simple. Thermaltake has changed manufacturers between the two. The original units were manufactured by Sirtec and the new ones are made by CWT. In our experience, we have seen better overall quality from CWT-made units. This is apparent in many ways, ranging from components used to how well everything is soldered together. Let's start by taking a look at the specifications to see what all the 1050W DPS G has to offer.
Specifications, Availability and Pricing
The Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G 1050W power supply utilizes a single 12V rail which is capable of providing 100% of the unit's output. This works out to be a whopping 87.5A. Both the 3.3V and 5V rails are rated for 25A with a combined maximum output of 130W. The 5VSB rail is rate for 3.0A or 15W. Combined maximum output for the DPS G 1050W is 1050W.
Thermaltake knows that in order to continue their reputation as a top tier PSU manufacturer that they have to deliver when it comes to features. The DPS G 1050W follows suit with that and doesn't miss a beat when it comes to all of the features that we look for. All protections are present including OVP, OCP, OPP, OTP, and SCP. The Toughpower DPS G 1050W is rated for 80 PLUS Gold efficiency. All cables are of the flat ribbon type, including the 24-pin main. Finally, the DPS G 1050W is rated for 100% continuous output at 50C.
Thermaltake lists the Toughpower DPS G 1050W with an MSRP of $209.99. This is very competitively priced unit considering the technology that comes along with it. The only unit that provides the same features and is digital at this time is the Corsair HX1050 which has an MSRP of $10 more than the Thermaltake unit. Thermaltake backs the Toughpower DPS G 1050W with their industry leading seven year warranty.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Xbox will 'go big' with streaming at E3 2019
- $399 Oculus Rift S has inside-out tracking, 1440p resolution
- No, Disney won't make its own Star Wars games
- Cuphead coming to Switch with Xbox LIVE integration
- Obsidian's new Outer Worlds skips Steam
- Aorus master or stutter master?
- Getting SSD to boot
- Seagate Game Drive PS4 2TB Review
- GA-X99-UD5 rev 1.0 power ON issue
- Asus RT-N16 - Can´t get wifi to work
- Killing Floor: Double Feature Coming May 21, 2019 to PlayStation Store and Game Retailers Near You
- Critically acclaimed retro platformer The Messenger hits PlayStation 4 today
- OMG Zombies! to invade Nintendo Switch on the 26th March!
- LEGO DC Super-Villains Releases Batman: The Animated Series Level Pack
- Super Crome: Bullet Purgatory Enters the Steam Early Access Atmosphere Today