Intel's Z170 chipset just landed along with the 6600K and 6700K (our full review here) and today I have ASUS's latest ROG motherboard, the Maximus VIII Hero, in house and ready for testing. Known for its quality, performance and good looks, ASUS's Republic of Gamers lineup is one of the most coveted among enthusiasts. With the Z170 lineup, ASUS is launching a few ROG series Z170 motherboards, with the Hero being in the middle of the ROG lineup between the Gene and the Extreme.
ASUS's Maximus Hero series is known for being the more mainstream ROG motherboard, not as extreme as well the "Extreme", and not as tiny as the Gene, the Hero provides a balance of features and quality that is appealing to many enthusiasts. Follow me as I venture into my first Z170 chipset motherboard review with the ASUS Maximus VIII Hero.
The Maximus VIII Hero has many features, and most of them are direct from the PCH. ASUS includes Intel's latest NIC for LAN connectivity and a PCI-E 3.0 4x M.2 slot for super-fast storage. Among other appealing features the Maximus VIII Hero carries ASUS's latest iteration of SupremeFX audio, 2-way graphics support, and USB 3.1 type-C and type-A ports on the backpanel. The board provides 8 SATA 6Gb/s ports, four of which can turn into two SATA Express ports. The board also supports a total of six USB 3.0 ports, four of which come from internal headers.
The price of the Maximus VIII Hero is estimated to be around $230, and while we don't know the prices of other Z170 motherboards just yet as today is launch day, it is safe to say that ASUS has priced the Maximus VIII Hero competitively to be an affordable gaming and overclocking motherboard. At the last minute, we did find a listing of the VIII on Amazon for $239 including free shipping.
PRICING: You can find the ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero retails for $239 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and the Maximus VIII Hero]
- Page 3 [Maximus VIII Hero Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [Maximus VIII Hero Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo reveal Diablo III: Eternal Collection Switch bundle
- Black Ops 4 physical sales down 50% compared WWII
- Mega Man 11 only had around 40 developers in the team
- Fortnite leak showcases a soon to be released gifting system
- A re-introduction into Old School RuneScape: New/Old players
- Default Netgear Wireless WG111 Issue
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Review: The Perfect Card For 1440p
- Computer will not turn on.
- Netgear Wireless WG111 Issue
- Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- Zombidle: Fun With Surgery Is An Update With A Lot of Guts
- Theia Wallet Announced the 1.0 Version Beta Test, Supports BTC
- Orion Health launches Amadeus CORE to help healthcare sector leverage data analytics and machine learning
- Epson Booth to Feature Partners with latest POS Solutions at Money20/20
- Raybaby announces launch on Amazon