The X299 Taichi really is quite beautiful.
The CPU VRM is in a 12+1 phase configuration and uses very high-end components both on the switching and filter side of things. ASRock has used Intersil's first fully digital solution, so let's see what they got.
There are three Intersil ISL69138 fully-digital PWMs, a first from Intersil. They were designed to be X+Y = 7 total PWMs, so you can use them in any configuration where two rails max out at seven total PWM channels. So you could use one ISL69128 PWM in a 6+1 phase configuration and another at 3+3 phases, for example, the new PWM also works very well with Intersil's brand new fully-integrated Smart Power Stage (SPS). The Smart Power Stage used here is the ISL99227B and ISL99227F, the only difference is the PWM input voltage range.
These Smart Power Stages offer a higher level of integration, better current sensing, and more protection compared to previous DrMOS implementations. Basically, these new parts can better react to large load swings and offer higher efficiency. They are a direct competitor to International Rectifier's IR3555, both are rated 60A, but these offer an almost integrated heat spreader. The new PWM and SPS offer direct competition to IR's solutions and should prove to perform quite well.
To get 12 phases from the six the PWM provides, ASRock uses a bunch of ISL6617 phase doublers on the rear of the motherboard. Here we find another ISL69138, most likely used to control the memory controller, and it controls two Sinopower SM7341EH dual N-channel MOSFETs.
We find two more Sinopower SM7341EH on the other side of the motherboard that power the other four DIMMs. On the back of the left of the motherboard carries a third ISL69138 PWM, and we can see two ISL6596 integrated drivers that drive the memory VRM phases.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and X299 Taichi Overview]
- Page 3 [ASRock X299 Taichi Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [ASRock X299 Taichi Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [VRM and System Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Starbreeze to focus exclusively on games
- Someone threatened to bomb Infinity Ward's offices
- Jagex making new Runescape RPG
- Metro Exodus finalized, release date moved up
- ZeniMax and Facebook settle VR lawsuit
- Seagate Game Drive for Xbox 2TB SSD Review
- GA-Z170X-Gaming-G1 and NVMe PCIe lanes
- Accell Thunderbolt 3 Dock Review
- GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro (Intel Z390) Motherboard Review
- Asrock Z390 Taichi Driver Tipps
- Six days until the new update launch of Seal Online: B.O.D!
- The SoulKeeper VR releasing a new open world campaign with new mechanics, in the form of Early Access version 2, in 2019
- The Game Awards More Than Doubles Viewership in 2018 Live Audience Grows To Over 26 million Livestrems
- Gameloft and the LEGO Group Partner to Bring 40 years of LEGO Minifigure History to Mobile
- New Breach Hero Class Trailer Highlights The Powerful Arcane Mender