The motherboard is much more revealing when you take off the shields and heat sinks.
MSI's VRM on the Z270 Gaming M7 uses an 8+2+1 phase design. The main PWM provides 4 phases to doublers that double them to eight, while the iGPu gets a single phase doubled to two. However, the datasheet for the UPI Semiconductor uP9508 is publicly available (it is a hybrid PWM), and states the PWM is a 3+2 phase PWM.
Looking at the thermals and inductor routing, as well as the doubler count, indicate 4+1 phase configuration, which leads me to believe that perhaps the B version of the PWM offers 1 phase as flexible, that can be used for the CPU or iGPU set of phases. The VRM uses uP1961 doublers which also must act as dual drivers. Each CPU phase gets a single NIKOS PK6328A PowerPAK for the high side and PK616BA for the low-side, each iGPu phase gets an extra low-side MOSFET.
The doublers/dual drivers are located at the rear of the PCB. The memory VRM is a two-phase powered by the same NIKOS MOSFETs, and a digital Primarion PWM controller, the PV3205.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and Z270 GAMING M7 Overview]
- Page 3 [MSI Z270 GAMING M7 Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [MSI Z270 GAMING M7 Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds will 'soon' get map selection
- Australian High Court REJECTS Valves appeal to $3M fine
- Skyrim Special Edition - 4K and 8K textures mods available
- God of War director reads reviews on video, shows true heart
- Witcher 3 mod allows Geralt to go full Benjamin Button
- FS 40 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9+ (www.BizFests.com) 128GB $8,520
- Legacy Mode
- Possible Router Issues
- ADATA Premier Memory Cards
- Can't complete BIOS recovery
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit