The motherboard is much more revealing when you take off the shields and heat sinks.
MSI's VRM on the Z270 Gaming M7 uses an 8+2+1 phase design. The main PWM provides 4 phases to doublers that double them to eight, while the iGPu gets a single phase doubled to two. However, the datasheet for the UPI Semiconductor uP9508 is publicly available (it is a hybrid PWM), and states the PWM is a 3+2 phase PWM.
Looking at the thermals and inductor routing, as well as the doubler count, indicate 4+1 phase configuration, which leads me to believe that perhaps the B version of the PWM offers 1 phase as flexible, that can be used for the CPU or iGPU set of phases. The VRM uses uP1961 doublers which also must act as dual drivers. Each CPU phase gets a single NIKOS PK6328A PowerPAK for the high side and PK616BA for the low-side, each iGPu phase gets an extra low-side MOSFET.
The doublers/dual drivers are located at the rear of the PCB. The memory VRM is a two-phase powered by the same NIKOS MOSFETs, and a digital Primarion PWM controller, the PV3205.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and Z270 GAMING M7 Overview]
- Page 3 [MSI Z270 GAMING M7 Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [MSI Z270 GAMING M7 Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Civilization VI: Gathering Storm - Biggest Civ Expansion yet
- Marvel's Spider-Man: 'Turf Wars' DLC released, new trailer
- Amazon Japan has $650+ Smash UItimate Amiibo set available
- Warframe makes its way to the Nintendo Switch, available now
- Overview trailer released for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- The computer always restarts
- X79 Extreme11 NVMe - PLEASE HELP
- Silicon Power Bolt B80 Portable SSD Review - Subtle Style
- NeueChair Review: Redefining The Modern Office Chair
- Crucial P1 500GB NVMe SSD - $100 NVMe
- olloclip Introduces Add-On Lens Clips for Apple's Newest iPhones
- ROCCAT celebrates website relaunch with fantastic deals
- QNAP Launches the Mustang-200 Computing Accelerator Card
- Manli announces GeForce RTX 2080 Ti & GeForce RTX 2070
- Stunning New Character Strikes Her Way into DEAD OR ALIVE 6