This board looks great without heat sinks on.
The VRM on this motherboard has an 8+4+1+1 phase configuration. Starting from the top right of the upside-down L shape, we have four iGPU phases, eight CPU VCore phases, a single phase for the VCCSA, and one more for the VCCIO. Instead of using linear regulators for the VCCSA and VCCIO, ASRock is using individual single phase switching regulators that use the same power stage components like the CPU/iGPU phases.
ASRock is using a mixture of 12K solid polymer, tantalum POSCAP, and multilayer ceramic capacitors for the output capacitor bank. The inductors for all the CPU phases are rated for 60A. The CPU VCore and iGPU phases are controlled by an International Rectifier 6+2 phase digital PWM, the IR35201. The IR35201 is a very popular PWM for high-end overclocking motherboards and is almost synonymous with high-performance voltage regulators. In this case, the IR35201 outputs 4+2 phases which are then doubled to 8+4. Each phase uses a single Texas Instruments CSD87350Q5D, NexFET Power Block. These NexFETs integrate the high-side and low-side MOSFET into a single package and are rated 40A max with 25A output at 90% efficiency. These are high-quality power stages.
There are six IR3598 phase doubler/dual driver units on the backside of the motherboard. Two of these double two PWM phases to four for the iGPU, and four double four phases to eight for the CPU VCore. Using these doublers is the correct way to double phases, rather than the common yet less effective method of just doubling components. The memory VRM is controlled by a uPI uP1674P PWM that controls two Texas Instruments CSD87350Q5D NexFETs (same as the CPU VRM).
PRICING: You can find the ASRock Z170M OC Formula (Intel Z170) Motherboard for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The ASRock Z170M OC Formula (Intel Z170) Motherboard retails for $219 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and Z170M OC Formula Overview]
- Page 3 [ASROCK Z170M OC Formula Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [ASROCK Z170M OC Formula Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [The BIOS]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- SK Hynix announces GDDR6, offers up to 14Gbps of bandwidth
- Nintendo shows off most downloaded eShop games
- Battlefield 1: Apocalypse DLC details aerial dogfights
- Nintendo Switch sells 1.5 million units last month
- Epic Games doubts the success of their own MOBA Paragon
- ASRock X370 Gaming-ITX/ac Gaming (AMD X370) Motherboard
- LGA1151 Extreme 4 post issue
- NVIDIA's next-gen TITAN X should rock 16GB GDDR6 at 14Gbps
- SuperData Analyst Interview on Call of Duty: WWII Success
- GIGABYTE Z370XP SLI (Intel Z370) Motherboard Review
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series