Today we will be looking at the Lenovo ThinkServer RD640, which is a larger capacity server compared to the Lenovo ThinkServer RD340, which we reviewed recently.
The feature list of the ThinkServer RD640 also follows the same basic concepts the RD340 brings to the table. The RD640 comes equipped with large storage capacity with up to 32TB on internal storage in a 2U server. All drives can be configured as hot swap SAS, SATA hard drives, or SSDs.
Optimized for virtualization workloads, the RD640 is perfect for databases, analytics, and other business applications. The RD640 can have two processors with up to 24 cores total, and large memory bandwidth. The RD640 also has plenty of I/O upgrade options, making it a true workhorse for business critical applications.
If you require more storage, there are options that allow up to 16x 2.5" drive bays that are also hot-swappable. Additional storage adapter options include the LSI ThinkServer RAID 710 adapter with 1GB write back cache, and LSI MegaRAID CacheCade Pro 2.0 and Fastpath for additional IOPs performance.
The server itself features tool-less rail kits, and Lenovo Smart Grid power management technology that uses Intel Node Manager, so it is easy to scale up power management in the data center. These features give the administrator the ability to manage up to 1,000 server nodes.
For virtualization workloads, the RD640 is vSphere-optimized and network equipped. Complete virtualization management uses VMware vSphere Operations Manager, LenovoEMC storage technology, and is vSphere 5 Certified. The management tool suite with the latest plug-ins from VMware allows virtual machine setup, and optimized VM performance. Let's start unboxing the Lenovo ThinkServer RD640, and then we will run the server through our tests.
The shipping box is standard for Lenovo server products. The foam inserts provide ample protection for the contents inside. There are about five to six inches of foam and air space between the outer box and the server contents. This does well to protect the server from drops, punctures, and mishandling by mail couriers.
Here we have the accessory boxes laid out, and the rail kit. The two boxes come neatly packed in the shipping box, and are easy to remove before taking the server out.
The accessory box has two power cords, a software and manual disk, plus installation instructions.
Upon opening the rail kit box, we get a chance to see the contents.
The kit comes with everything you need to install the rails, including two sliding rails, two mounting screw packages, and instructions for how to install the rails.
PRICING: You can find the ThinkServer RD640 70AY0006UX 2U Rack Server for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The ThinkServer RD640 70AY0006UX 2U Rack Server retails for $1199.99 at Amazon.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Spider-Man developers thought the story wasn't funny enough
- Warner Bros. release teaser for Pokemon: Detective Pikachu
- China sprouts the first life ever made on the Moons surface
- Zelda: Link's Awakening Switch & GameBoy comparison video
- Apex Legends mods have banned over 16,000 cheaters so far
- Supermicro C9Z390-CG-IW (Intel Z390) Motherboard Review
- Z77X-UD5H Bios Issue When Setting CPU Multiplier Above 44
- Resident Evil 2 Remake Review: Fright Night
- HELP !!!! ASROCK Z77 PRO3 "NON-K OC MENU" disappeared :-(
- GeIL Super Luce RGB Sync DDR4-3200 16GB Memory Kit Review
- BundleFest is coming - Get ready for the biggest bundle event of the year
- Team NINJA Announces DEAD OR ALIVE 6 Deluxe Demo, World Championship, and SNK Collaboration
- Bandai Namco Entertainment America Inc. Launches Jump Force; The Ultimate Manga Crossover Extravaganza
- The Escape Room Puzzle Game Themed On The Seven Deadly Sins Will Hit Steam On Feb 28th
- [01Studio] Indie MMORPG - Citywars Savage