The Lenovo ThinkServer line up provides a user with a feature-rich load out and offers great performance and value.
Not only do users want great value for their purchases, but they also want a vendor that will provide support and services that go along with that. Lenovo has a great line up of machines that are backed by an online suite of services to provide a user with configurations designed for their needs and to provide ample software to aid the users in setting up and managing servers.
The server we will be looking at in this review is the ThinkServer RD340-70AB. This server comes with dual CPU capability and four storage bays.
There are several other versions of the RD340 that expand on storage capabilities, with 4, 6, and 8 storage bays, depending on what you need. This gives the RD340 line up a storage capacity of up to 16TB of storage in a 1U package.
The ability to use just one CPU (out of two possible) gives expansion abilities. This gives flexibility on starting costs to get servers up and running. The RD340 can use up to two Intel Xeon E5-2400 v2 series processors with up to 10 cores each. This is a huge amount of CPU power in a 1U package
When looking at just what the RD340 can provide as far as services go, you can head over to Lenovo's ThinkServer Buying guide found here. Lenovo ThinkServer Buying Guide
This shows that a client can expect a ThinkServer RD340 to handle: up to 75 users for Windows Storage Server & Windows Server 2012 R2; up to 1,000 users for email and messaging; up to 400 users for Apache Web serving; up to 25 users for Active Directory; up to 50 users for Microsoft SQL Database; and up to 15 VMs. These are approximate numbers, and server load outs can affect these numbers, so only use this as a guide.
Opening the shipping box, we find the contents' layout, foam packing, and accessories. Removing the accessories, we find that the foam inserts split into two halves. Taking out the two top sections of the foam inserts allows easy removal of the server itself. We prefer this way of packing as it eases taking out the server, which can sometimes be very heavy. The shipping box did take a hit to the side, but because of the ample space and foam inserts, there was no damage to any of the contents.
Here we have the accessory boxes laid out, and you can see one box is the rail kit and the other is filled with accessories. There is also folder with contact information in case you might need to contact support.
The accessory box has two power cords, a software and manual disk, and installation instructions.
Here we have opened the rail kit box and get a chance to see the contents.
The kit comes with everything you need to install the rails: two sliding rails, two mounting screw packages, and instructions for how to install the rails.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Packaging]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Layout and Installation]
- Page 3 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 4 [Remote Management]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup]
- Page 6 [System and CPU Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [Memory Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [UnixBench 5.1.3 and SPEC CPU2006v1.2]
- Page 9 [Power Consumption and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- ONRUSH gameplay trailer reveals new game modes
- YouTube star John 'TotalBiscuit' Bain has died age 33
- God of War reaches a massive 5 million units sold
- The Wolf Among Us Season Two hit with 2019 delay
- Nintendo's '2nd Unit Set' for the Switch is dockless, $230
- the best value, budget upgrade for me
- best value budget upgrade path
- Buy 3 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9 SM-G960UZKAXAA 128GB $1.422
- X58a-ud5 rev 1.0 Bios with VT-d support
- HyperX FURY DDR4-3466 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit