I know how easy it is to throw together an HTPC. I mean many people build these themselves and are quite happy with that they have come up with to suit their specific needs. What if I were to tell you that there is a company out there that not only offers you a plug and play solution to having the benefits of an HTPC in the living room, but took the design and the options to a level that I haven't seen with that I have been able to come up with over the years. My personal HTPC is built atop a Zotac m-ITX motherboard with a dual core Atom processor. The issue I have is when I add the video card or the fans on the HTPC chassis, when it begins to spool up, the unit is more of an audible distraction than a benefit to adding said builds into a home theater environment. I want to hear the movie, not my PC that is streaming the content.
ARCTIC takes these issues head on and said what can we do to make these issues just go away? Well to start off, the unit we are about to see is completely passive. There is a combination of internal heatsinks that can use the thick aluminum plate of the external case to help with the transfer of heat to the slow current of air in the room naturally. On top of that, with the included dual core Intel Atom D525 and AMD Radeon HD 5430, there is enough "grunt" to play the Blu-ray you slip in the ODD or stream 1080p to this unit from another PC and wirelessly if you want.
What really set this unit apart from an HTPC you build or any media box you can buy is the complete list of accessories all ready to just plug and play and go to work for you. ARCTIC has really taken all of the guess work out of the build process as they offer you a PC that is one of the smallest units I have had the pleasure of using in my home theater environment.
Some of you may be thinking to yourself, yeah I can build them silent, but I assure you; you will never get close to the amount of goodies you can pack into your build compared to everything that is offered inside of the MC001-BD Entertainment Center and I guarantee you won't come close in the limited footprint this is delivered in.
I have had ample time with this unit and I think I have put it through all of the paces I can think of doing or that my location allows with certain features of this EU unit. Even with a limitation of not being able to use the included tuner, there is still a ton left to cover with what ARCTIC offers in the MC001-BD, especially when we start adding on the ARCTIC accessories.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [ARCTIC MC001-BD Entertainment Center PC]
- Page 5 [Inside the ARCTIC MC001-BD Entertainment Center PC]
- Page 6 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 7 [K481 Wireless Keyboard with Multi-Touch Pad]
- Page 8 [MCR1 IR Media Center Remote Control]
- Page 9 [Audio Relay Wireless Media Extender]
- Page 10 [Audio Relay Accessories]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Vivo's next smartphone could feature a huge 10GB of RAM
- Ruin the fun in our 'Blockers' Blu-ray giveaway!
- Make a noise for our 'A Quiet Place' Blu-ray giveaway!
- Apple's new external GPU: Radeon Pro 580 with 8GB for $699
- Apple's most expensive new MacBook Pro costs an insane $6700
- Unlock Outlook PST Recovery Tool
- ASRock Z370 Extreme4 produces a high-frequency sound
- Thin, Light & Narrow Bezel, MSI GS65 Gaming NB Review
- iStorage diskashur DT2 12TB Review
- Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 rev 1.0
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit