Seagate and LSI teamed up to bring SAS 2.0, 6Gb/s technology to enterprise and prosumer users in late 2009. The Seagate 15K.7 3.5 inch form factor and 15K.2 2.5" drives both showed performance improvements with the new 6G interface. We have already tested both drives on the internal version of the card we are reviewing today, the LSI 9260-8i, and saw large single drive performance increases just by moving to SAS 2.0.
At this time I was unable to find an external drive enclosure that was able to take advantage of new 6G technology. It is going to take the market a couple of months to get these products ready, with availability likely towards the end of Q1 2010.
External SAS enclosures are categorized as Direct Access Storage (DAS) and the technology has now trickled down from enterprise and is a popular way of adding very large disk arrays to professional Audio / Video users. Small companies with a small number of users have found that DAS offers the same disk redundancy features of NAS servers, but offers higher data transfer speeds and in many cases lower costs.
Let's have a look at the specifications of the LSI MegaRAID 9280-8E SAS 2.0 RAID controller.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [The LSI MegaRAID 9280-8E]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Everest Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - AS SSD Copy Benchmark]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- ONRUSH gameplay trailer reveals new game modes
- YouTube star John 'TotalBiscuit' Bain has died age 33
- God of War reaches a massive 5 million units sold
- The Wolf Among Us Season Two hit with 2019 delay
- Nintendo's '2nd Unit Set' for the Switch is dockless, $230
- the best value, budget upgrade for me
- best value budget upgrade path
- Buy 3 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9 SM-G960UZKAXAA 128GB $1.422
- X58a-ud5 rev 1.0 Bios with VT-d support
- HyperX FURY DDR4-3466 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit