Like most games on the market, Jedi: Fallen Order has been in development for a long while now.
Yesterday Respawn unveiled Jedi: Fallen Order, the studio's new ambitious singleplayer-only Star Wars game that aims at capturing a true Jedi fantasy story. As with most Star Wars games, which are often turbulent and rocky affairs, Respawn's project was in development for quite a while. How long? The foundation for Respawn's saga-bridging game was laid as far back as 2014. And the team behind it worked on some of the biggest IPs in gaming.
In a recent panel at the Star Wars Celebration, game director Stig Asmussen revealed that Jedi: Fallen Order was born shortly after the original Titanfall released in 2014. The action-adventure Jedi game wasn't confirmed to fans and press until 2016.
"Coming to Respawn was such a wild ride. I came out here in...what...2014? Even before that we were talking about Star Wars. I got the opportunity to build a team with several members who were already at Respawn in the Titanfall team."
"When Stig and I starting working together, it was one of the first things we talked about. We wanted to do this game. We finally realized," Respawn co-founder Vince Zampella added.
To make Jedi: Fallen Order into the sprawling action-driven experience that was envisioned, Stig Asmussen slowly built a team of some of the industry's top veterans. It was a steady progression and as the game grew and grew, so did the dev team. This might indicate Jedi: Fallen Order was always meant to be a singleplayer game to help break up the live service roadmap laid out by Battlefronts I & II.
"We had the ability to build slow and steady. That's really rare in this industry. We have people that worked on God of War, Batman, BioShock, Metal Gear, Uncharted," Asmussen said in the panel.
"To say we're a mashup crew is an understatement. But everyone has a really high pedigree."
Jedi: Fallen Order has emphasis on two major things: story and combat.
Respawn was careful to meld new and familiar elements into the game's story arc while splashing in some chaotic lightsaber combat. The game takes place during the darkest time in Jedi history when the Empire hunted them down, and Cal, a lost Force user thrown into the chaos of Imperial reign, is forced on the run to survive.
Combat is extremely important too. While none was actually shown off during the reveal--Respawn focused on story instead--Asmussen and Zampella affirm the game will deliver a distinct "Jedi fantasy". Asmussen says the team created a "thoughtful combat" system that's both accessible and easy to use, but deep and hard to master.
"It's an action melee game. You play as a Jedi on the run in training with a lightsaber and force powers," Asmussen said during the panel reveal.
"We made sure the combat is something easy to pick up, but if you put the time in you can master it. It has a lot of depth. This is Star Wars. Combat is key to us--we call it thoughtful combat, and you identify and exploit the weaknesses."
Jedi: Fallen Order is slated to release on November 15, 2019 on PS4, Xbox One and PC.
Check below for more information:
A galaxy-spanning adventure awaits in Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, a new third-person action-adventure title from Respawn Entertainment. This narratively driven, single-player game puts you in the role of a Jedi Padawan who narrowly escaped the purge of Order 66 following the events of Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith. On a quest to rebuild the Jedi Order, you must pick up the pieces of your shattered past to complete your training, develop new powerful Force abilities and master the art of the iconic lightsaber - all while staying one step ahead of the Empire and its deadly Inquisitors.
While mastering your abilities, players will engage in cinematically charged lightsaber and Force combat designed to deliver the kind of intense Star Wars lightsaber battles as seen in the films. Players will need to approach enemies strategically, sizing up strengths and weaknesses while cleverly utilizing your Jedi training to overcome your opponents and solve the mysteries that lay in your path.
Star Wars fans will recognize iconic locations, weapons, gear and enemies while also meeting a roster of fresh characters, locations, creatures, droids and adversaries new to Star Wars. As part of this authentic Star Wars story, fans will delve into a galaxy recently seized by the Empire. As a Jedi hero-turned-fugitive, players will need to fight for survival while exploring the mysteries of a long-extinct civilization all in an effort to rebuild the remnants of the Jedi Order as the Empire seeks to erase the Jedi completely.
● Cinematic, Immersive Combat - Jedi: Fallen Order delivers the fantasy of becoming a Jedi through its innovative lightsaber combat system-striking, parrying, dodging-partnered with a suite of powerful Force abilities you'll need to leverage to overcome obstacles that stand in your way. This combat system is intuitive but takes training and practice to fully master its nuances as you gain new powers and abilities along your adventure.
● A New Jedi Story Begins - As a former Padawan on the run from the Empire, you must complete your training before Imperial Inquisitors discover your plan to revive the Jedi Order. Aided by a former Jedi Knight, a cantankerous pilot and a fearless droid, you must escape the evil machinations of the Empire in a story-driven adventure. Explore and overcome a wide range of challenges focused on combat, exploration and puzzle-solving.
● The Galaxy Awaits - Ancient forests, windswept rock faces and haunted jungles are all unique biomes you'll explore in Jedi: Fallen Order, with the freedom to decide when and where you go next. As you unlock new powers and abilities, opportunities open up to re-traverse maps in new ways; leveraging the Force to augment the way you explore. Move quickly, however, as the Empire is actively hunting your every step in their effort to exterminate all remnants of the Jedi Order.
- >> NEXT STORY: Jedi: Fallen Order channels Uncharted, The Force Unleashed
- << PREVIOUS STORY: Jedi: Fallen Order is a Jedi fantasy with meaningful combat
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.co.uk
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com.au
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.ca
Deutschland: Finde andere Technik- und Computerprodukte wie dieses auf Amazon.de