The PlayStation 4 games console has surpassed 70 million units ahead of the big Christmas season, Sony today confirmed.
In a recent press release Sony announced that the PS4 has sold through 70.6 million units globally since the system launched in 2013, up an impressive 10.2 million units from the original 60.4 million sales from June. This milestone is also accompanied by a huge attach rate, which has grown incrementally since June as well.
Sony says that over 617.8 million PlayStation 4 games have been sold digitally and at retail, which puts the attach rate at a minimum of 8.7%. This means that PS4 owners have about at least 9 games for the console since the system released four years ago. The Japanese games-maker further re-affirms commitment to the PlayStation VR platform with a neat statistic: 150 titles have been released for the virtual reality headset to date.
"We are delighted that so many people are enjoying the unique entertainment proposition of PlayStation 4 and that an emerging technology like PlayStation VR continues to gain traction," said Andrew House, Chairman of Sony Interactive Entertainment.
"I cannot thank our fans and partners enough. Their support, since the launch of very first PlayStation in 1994, has helped to make PlayStation one of the biggest console gaming network in the world. We will continue to work closely with partners to maintain this momentum and remain steadfast in making PS4 the best place to play."
Here's a few quick stats from the press release:
- PS4 has cumulatively sold through more than 70.6M units to consumers worldwide as of December 3, 2017
- More than 617.8 million copies of PS4 games have been sold at retail stores globally and through digital downloads on PlayStation Store as of December 3, 2017
- Based on strong momentum of PS4, PS VR cumulatively sold through more than 2M units to consumers worldwide as of December 3, 2017
- 150 titles have been released for PS VR, achieving more than 12.2 million copies sold at retail stores globally and through digital downloads on PlayStation Store as of December 3, 2017
- >> NEXT STORY: Analyst: Sony's focus on unique game stories is 'unusual'
- << PREVIOUS STORY: Celebrities will answer your Google search questions
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.co.uk
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com.au
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.ca
Deutschland: Finde andere Technik- und Computerprodukte wie dieses auf Amazon.de