E3 2017 - Sony today confirmed that its PlayStation 4 console has sold through more than 60 million units worldwide.
Sony Interactive Entertainment has accumulated a total of 60.4 million PlayStation 4 console sales worldwide since the system debuted in 2013. This sales milestone includes the full family of PlayStation 4 consoles: the 2013 launch PS4, the new PS4 "slim", and the higher-end PlayStation 4 Pro, all of which were sold across 123 countries and territories.
Along with strong hardware sales, the PlayStation 4 has enjoyed a phenomenal software attach rate throughout its lifetime. Sony confirms that 487.8 million copies of PS4 software have been sold digitally and in retail stores across the globe, meaning the average PS4 owner owns at least 8 games.
Read Also: Only 37% of active PS4 users bought PS Plus
"We are very grateful for our fans and partners around the globe who have continued to support PS4," said Andrew House, President and Global CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment.
"The PS4 platform is in its prime, with the industry's best lineup of exclusive and partner titles slated to release this year, taking full advantage of the power of the PS4 system. We are committed to further expanding our overall PS4 ecosystem, by broadening the PlayStation VR content portfolio, as well as enriching our network services along with our ground-breaking software lineup. We remain steadfast in bringing the best entertainment experience to users worldwide and making PS4 the best place to play."
Sony Corp President Kazuo Hirai says the company expects to sell 18 million units in the current fiscal year ending March 2018.
Here are some metrics from Sony's recent press release.
- PS4 has cumulatively sold through more than 60.4 million units to consumers worldwide as of June 11, 2017.
- PS4 software sales, led by critically acclaimed titles such as Horizon: Zero Dawn, also remain strong with more than 487.8 million copies sold at retail stores globally and through digital downloads on PlayStationStore as of June 11, 2017.
- Building off of robust PS4 momentum, user engagement across the PlayStation® ecosystem has also experienced vibrant growth.
- PlayStation ecosystem has more than 70 million monthly active users worldwide as of end of March 2017.
- PlayStation Plus has 26.4 million paid subscribers worldwide as of end of March 2017.
- Active PS4 users worldwide spend more than 600 million hours in total, per week on the platform as of end of March 2017.
- > NEXT STORY: Destiny 2 PC release date announced
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Intel teams with ESL for $1 million CS:GO championship