Introduction: Adam Boyes
At this year's IEM Chicago esports tournament, we had the opportunity to sit down with Adam Boyes, ex-Sony VP of publisher and developer relations at PlayStation and current CEO of Iron Galaxy Studios. The team at Iron Galaxy is known for creating some of the best Switch ports in the industry including the excellent Diablo III and cramming the huge RPG opus of Skyrim into a handheld shape.
Iron Galaxy is a 140-person team with two studios across Orlando and Chicago. As CEO, Boyes oversees the company as they work on a myriad of different projects; the studio has lots of moving parts and is always busy on something new. Iron Galaxy is actually quite interesting. Instead of focusing on one project at a time, the devs are crafting ports, original new IPs, and even helping other studios iron out key issues in their games.
At the event we talked to Boyes about Diablo III on Switch, what it was like adapting Skyrim onto Nintendo's hybrid best-seller, what's next for Iron Galaxy, and dabbled a bit into next-gen consoles.
The most interesting topic was how Blizzard is now opening up to external developers. The studio typically keeps its IPs close to its heart, but now that it's working heavily on Diablo IV, Blizzard conscripted Iron Galaxy to make Diablo III run on the Switch.
Boyes and his team worked closely with Blizzard's classics team to make an authentic, fun, and performance-driven version of Diablo III for the Nintendo Switch. It's the beginning of a new era of trust and respect for Blizzard, Boyes says, one that opens up lots of opportunities. We could even see Iron Galaxy handle the Diablo IV's Switch port, too.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Bungie: Activision let us do awesome things with Destiny
- Disney+ includes free 4K streaming, supports 4 simultaneous streams
- Bandai Namco: Epic Store exclusivity isn't our vision
- El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie announced, drops October 11 on Netflix
- The best destruction physics in a game EVER, also features ray tracing
- Lian Li TU150 Mini-ITX Chassis Review
- SteelSeries Arctis 9X Wireless Headset Review
- Seagate Gears 5TB Game Drive Review
- TRENDnet USB-C 2.5Gbe Network Adapter Review
- Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe M.2 SSD Review
- Snooker 19, the first official snooker game in a generation, is out now on Nintendo Switch
- Ultimate Fishing Simulator VR will debut in August
- Leyou Technologies Announces 2019 Interim Results
- Thermaltake A700 Aluminum Tempered Glass Edition Full Tower Chassis Now Available Simplicity Creates Its Own Path
- 2019 Thermaltake CaseMOD Invitational Season 2 Brings Twelve Top Modders Worldwide Together for the New Creation of the Core P5 V2 Chassis Battle for the Best