ASUS PRIME X299-DELUXE Circuit Analysis Continued
ASUS's Realtek implementation is very simple, a single Realtek ALC1220 with integrated amplifier along with some Nichicon Gold Series audio capacitors and a physical PCB divide are enough to top a lot of things.
ASUS's first Intel NIC is an i219v, which would mean the PCH has an integrated MAC built into it. ASUS's second Intel NIC is an i211AT 1Gbit NIC, which is fully integrated.
Two LANGuard SMDs provide ESD protection on each of the two NICs. The Wireless AD (4.6Gbps)/Wireless AC (1.3Gbps) card is the QCA6174-W0096 from Qualcomm. The Deluxe is the first motherboard to carry this new technology, and it operates at 60GHz, so it only works in some countries.
ASUS didn't mess around with its rear USB 3.1, they took things to the next level and used two USB 3.1 controllers, the ASMedia ASM3142, each of which gets two PCI-E 3.0 lanes from the CPU. The type-C port on the rear uses the ASM1543 controller chip. There is also another ASMedia ASM3142 located near the type-C internal header; it shares x2 PCI-E 3.0 with the second x16 slot when using a 16 lane CPU.
ASUS's ThunderBolt 3 card uses the Intel DSL6540 controller chip, Texas Instruments TPS65982 Type-C controller and power delivery IC, along with a wide array of circuitry to support both ThunderBolt 3, and USB 3.1 (including type-A) on the same card. The fan extension card ASUS uses is identical the ones that have been included with high-end ASUS motherboards for a while; it uses nuvoTon and Winbond fan control ICs to get the job done.
A single 128Mbit/16MB BIOS ROM sits near an STMicro STM32 microcontroller. I am not sure what this IC does, but my best guess is it controls the digital RGB LED header, or it helps with the new OLED or fans. I am surprised ASUS didn't re-label it. The chip labeled BIOS is still lurking around; it provides the USB BIOS Flashback feature so that you can recover from a bad flash.
All that switching and so many chipsets, almost as many as the Rampage V Edition 10. We also get a high-performance PCI-E re-driver, I assume to ensure the highest performance when switching from CPU to PCH based PCI-E lanes when using an x16 CPU. ASUS is making that chip relabeling machine of theirs do some overtime; here we see they rebranded a clock generator (actually that was a smart move since that's one part where the model can make a difference, and it's not obvious).
Those four USB 3.0 ports on the back get their bandwidth from a USB 3.0 hub, the ASM1074, which gets a single USB 3.0 port from the PCH. The main SuperIO is the nuvoTon NCT6796D.
The AURA chip fan is found in multiple places; it helps control the RGB LEDs. A new larger TPU chip can also be found on the motherboard; it helps provide the TPU functions such as better fan control. I assume there is an EPU chip as well hidden under the PCH heat sink I was not able to remove.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The ASUS PRIME X299-DELUXE Motherboard retails for $XXX at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The ASUS PRIME X299-DELUXE Motherboard retails for £XXX at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and ASUS PRIME X299-DELUXE Overview]
- Page 3 [ASUS PRIME X299-DELUXE Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [ASUS PRIME X299-DELUXE Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [VRM and System Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Gearbox CEO addresses current Borderlands 3 rights rumors
- Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia, a Mierce comeback
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze trailer, meet the Kongs
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds will 'soon' get map selection
- Australian High Court REJECTS Valves appeal to $3M fine
- FS 40 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9+ (www.BizFests.com) 128GB $8,520
- Legacy Mode
- Possible Router Issues
- ADATA Premier Memory Cards
- Can't complete BIOS recovery
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit