About a month ago, the world was introduced to AMD's comeback kid, the Ryzen R7 series of processors. I reviewed the entire lineup, but many users wanted to know about the performance and pricing of AMD's more affordable Ryzen 5 models. Today, I will look at two Ryzen 5 processors; the six-core twelve-thread Ryzen 5 1600X and the four-core eight-thread Ryzen 5 1500X. Both processors offer XFR, and both come in at much more affordable price points.
If you are interested, I have already covered Ryzen's microarchitecture here and Ryzen's clock for clock performance here. The Ryzen 5 and 7 processors share the same SoC features including x16 PCI-E 3.0 for GPUs, x4 PCI-E 3.0 for M.2 devices, and other connectivity features integrated into the processor.
For this review, I will use AMD's B350 chipset instead of the X370, not only because it was included in the review guide, but also because AMD feels the chipset matches the affordability of the processor. The B350 chipset takes aim at Intel's B250 chipset, and while both have their advantage and disadvantages, AMD's offers overclocking support and integrated USB 3.1 instead of extra PCI-E 3.0.
The 1500X has a 65W TDP and uses two CCX in a 2+2 configuration while the 1600X uses a 3+3 configuration. Both CPUs get 16MB of L3 cache, which is shared by all cores. The 1500X has a 3.5GHz base, 3.6GHz all core boost, 3.7GHz 2-core boost, and a 3.9GHz XFR single core boost. The 1600X has a 3.6GHz base, 3.7GHz all core boost, 4.0GHz 2-core boost, and a 4.1GHz XFR. With fewer cores, AMD was able to get more frequency out of the CPU, and we will see how this impacts overall performance compared to the 1700, where frequency toppled core count. The 1500X has a 65W TDP while the 1600X has a 95W TDP.
The Ryzen 5 1500X will cost $189, and the 1600X will cost $249, the Ryzen 7 1700 costs $329, so the cost savings are significant.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [The CPUs and Packaging]
- Page 3 [Wraith Max and Test Setup]
- Page 4 [Out of the Box Performance: CINEBENCH, wPrime, and AIDA64]
- Page 5 [Out of the Box Performance: Handbrake Video Transcoding, ScienceMark, and SuperPI]
- Page 6 [Out of the Box Synthetic Gaming Performance: UNIGINE and 3DMark]
- Page 7 [Out of the Box Gaming Performance: Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, GTA:V, Ashes of the Singularity]
- Page 8 [Overclocking and Power Consumption]
- Page 9 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo signals 3DS retirement, ignores it in presentation
- Switch digital revenue nearly doubles, software up 86%
- Death Stranding creator meets Robert De Niro at Tribeca 2019
- Mortal Kombat 11's Director says '$6440 story' is BULLSH*T
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate overtakes Wii U console sales
- ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha.....blocked mounting hole
- OWC 10Gbe Thunderbolt 3 Review
- did the old ivy bridge overclock issue on z68 boards ever get fixed?
- LED strip always on even after PC off?
- Netgear Orbi Pro Ceiling Review
- Carpe Diem! Imperator: Rome Available Now
- Garth Brooks Makes Mobile Game Debut in Words With Friends, Announces Final Pre-Order Window for The Legacy Collection
- Nexile releases new trailer for Jump King along with release date
- World War Z - The zombie apocalypse is frantic, frightening - and fun - in the World War Z Reaction Trailer!
- Focus Home Interactive Q4 2018 - 2019 Earnings!