Installation and Finished Product
The first step to installing the Kraken X42 says we should slide the threaded ends in for LGA115X, and set it on the back of the motherboard. Align the holes, and it will drop in, and be mindful of the orientation of the backplate.
The next step is to flip the motherboard over and send the standoffs in the threaded holes of the backplate. The standoffs will run out of threads before they touch the motherboard, so do not worry if it does not feel completely secure at this time.
We then made sure to make the connections to the head unit. If we did not use the case we do, making these connections could get complicated after installing the cooler, so we found it best to do it now.
We then installed the fan so that it will be blowing air through the radiator and away from the chassis. When it comes to having to tighten the fan, we found the rubber inserts to compress, which keeps the fan off the radiator and also isolates the screws and washers or the case.
Looking over the RAM, we do see quite a bit of that brushed black metal exterior poking out from behind them, and we do see that the swivel fittings are oriented to go right next to it.
We concluded that this is why there is a 35mm clearance marked on the specifications, but as you can see with our choice of RAM, we did not make contact with the cooler. If we had taller sticks in play, the fittings could force the innermost stick to lean away from the CPU, but most sticks will clear this cooler.
Taking a step back, we see that there is plenty of room around the head unit to access things like motherboard screws and 8-pin power connectors. However, if this were going into a case, the connections should be made, as you will only have an inch or two in most mid-tower cases to make this connection later, likely causing damage or bending the pins.
Even using our D-Frame in the vertical orientation, and having a long way between the CPU and the top rail of the chassis, we had no issues doing so with the Kraken X42. There is plenty of tube, so much so that we didn't even flex the fittings, they are still straight up from the motherboard.
Once the SATA and fan connections are made to the PSU and the motherboard, you can power on the Kraken X42. By default, the head unit is illuminated with near-white LED light. Both the logo and the ring around it are illuminated, and at this time the light in the ring is racing around the edge doing laps around the NZXT name.
PRICING: You can find the NZXT Kraken X42 Liquid CPU Cooler for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The NZXT Kraken X42 Liquid CPU Cooler retails for $128 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The NZXT Kraken X42 Liquid CPU Cooler retails for £105 at Amazon UK.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Epic: 'Battle. Adapt. Win' tease for Season 4 of Fortnite
- PC Building Simulator sells 100,000 copies in 30 days
- Radeon Vega Instinct: refreshed 7nm Vega 20 hits AMD labs
- Windows 10 Pro OEM CD-KEY Global, just $12.36 after code
- Amazon Prime price will increase to $119 in May
- Gigabyte P104-100 GPU Mining Card
- ASUS STRIX H370-I GAMING (Intel H370) Motherboard Review
- Issue with X299 Taichi No video through GTX 1080ti
- GIGABYTE X470 Aorus Gaming 7 WIFI Motherboard Review
- AsRock Z97 not picking up SATA drive
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit