ASUS's Republic of Gamers (ROG) series of motherboards is ASUS's A-Team when it comes to launching new technologies and innovating upon older ones. Today, I look at a relative ROG Z170 latecomer, the Maximus VIII Formula, which has traditionally been targeted towards gamers. Sporting full-body ROG Armor, similar to that of the ASUS TUF series, the Maximus VIII Formula has distinctive aesthetics. What makes the Maximus VIII Formula unique are the numerous RGB LEDs embedded throughout the motherboard's shield and heat sinks, providing users the ability to customize the motherboard color scheme.
Since the Intel Z170 chipset packs in so many features, motherboard manufacturers have looked towards new ways of differentiating their products. RGB LEDs are a perfect addition, but if history has taught us anything, it is that many motherboard design teams rarely know what their users want when it comes to lighting. The Maximus VIII Formula aims to redefine motherboard lighting, giving users exactly what they want - total color customization.
The ASUS Maximus VIII Formula has many high-end features including U.2, M.2, USB 3.1, 2x2 Wireless AC Wi-Fi with MU-MIMO, USB 3.0, CrossChill EK water block, SupremeFX 2015 audio, and even an RGB LED strip header just to name a few.
The Maximus VIII Formula is available from many large retailers for roughly $399, making it one of the more expensive Z170 motherboards on the market.
PRICING: You can find the ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula (Intel Z170) Motherboard for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United Kingdom: The ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula (Intel Z170) Motherboard retails for £311 at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and Maximus VIII Formula Overview]
- Page 3 [ASUS Maximus VIII Formula Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [ASUS Maximus VIII Formula Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]