The Z170 OC Formula looks nice in the nude.
If you count the phases this VRM is a 12+4+1+1 phase VRM (VCC + VCCGT+VCCSA+VCCIO). There are four major input rails to the CPU for Z170; VCC (VCore), VCCGT (Graphics core), VCCSA (System Agent), and VCCIO (CPU IO). Counting the phases from the top left to the bottom right, the first single inductor (choke) is in charge of VCCSA, following it are 12 inductors for the CPU VCore and the remaining four are for the VCCGT (graphics). ASRock is using International Rectifier's (now part of Infineon) latest PWM and eight of their doubler/dual driver chips, the IR3598, to double all the PWM's phases to provide 12+4 phases of output for the VCC + VCCGT.
ASRock's Z170 OC Formula uses a much higher phase count digital PWM from International Rectifier instead of the hybrid-digital PWM from Intersil with less true phases. The IR PWM is also better suited for overclocking. ASRock is using their 60A high current inductors as well as a mixture of 12K gold capacitors and a few tantalums and MLCCs for the output filter. Needless to say, this VRM is overkill for Z170, but in some cases overkill is what people want and ASRock is delivering.
ASRock put International Rectifier's latest PWM, the IR35201, in charge of the phases. The IR35201 has two operating modes and ASRock is using the 6+2 phase operation mode, all six phases for the VCC and two phases for the VCCGT are doubled by eight backside IR3598 doublers/dual drivers to 12+4 phases. Each phase consists of a Texas Instruments CSD87350Q5D, which are 25A@90% efficiency NexFETs, and have integrated high-side and low-side MOSFETs in a single package. This is a very powerful VRM design for overclockers. The VCCSA is using a single NexFET and is controlled by a Richtek RT8120 (not pictured), and the VCCIO is using two Advanced Power Electronics AP4034GYT for the high-side and low-side and is using a Richtek RT8120 as the PWM (pictured on the right).
The memory VRM is controlled by a UPI Semiconductor UP1674 (no datasheet), which I would think provides at least two phases of output. The same high quality Texas Instruments CSD87350Q5D NexFETs are used for the memory VRM in a two phase configuration. The memory VRM is enough for any DDR4 arrangement. The Z170 OC Formula also has an external clock generator, an IDT 6V41542NLG, which provides higher BLCK overclocks. Two Texas Instruments HD3SS415 are PCI-E quick switches which switch around all the PCI-E bandwidth system wide.
PRICING: You can find the ASRock Z170 OC Formula for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: The ASRock Z170 OC Formula retails for £223 at Amazon UK.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and the Z170 OC Formula]
- Page 3 [ASRock Z170 OC Formula Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [ASRock Z170 OC Formula Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Escape the 'Isle of Dogs' in our Blu-ray giveaway!
- Apple's new MacBook Pro SEVERELY THROTTLES from Core i9 heat
- Western Digital Samples 1.33Tb QLC Die Flash
- Capcom add 'Torch Man' to the Mega Man 11 boss roster
- Kirby Star Allies: Daroach, Dark Meta Knight & more details
- NZXT Kraken M22 CPU Cooler Review
- Question about ASROCK 970 Extreme3 1.0
- MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC (AMD X470) Motherboard Review
- ASROCK C2750D4I BMC Self Test Failure
- OWC Travel Dock Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit