Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is a huge success for Activision, raking in over $600 million in sales in its opening weekend on all platforms.
Modern Warfare is a sales juggernaut that beat Black Ops 4's and even Black Ops 3's opening weekend earnings, becoming the fastest-selling Call of Duty game on PS4 and Xbox One to date. The reboot still didn't beat Black Ops II's astronomical $500 million first-day sales, though.
Here's a quick historical breakdown of Call of Duty's opening earnings:
- Black Ops II - $500 million in one day
- Black Ops III - $550 million in first three-day weekend sales
- WWII - $500 million in weekend sales
- Black Ops IV - $500 million weekend sales
- Modern Warfare Reboot - $600 million weekend sales
Much to Activision's delight, more gamers bought Modern Warfare digitally than ever before, and was the top pre-ordered game on PS4 on the PlayStation Network. The shooter is also top-selling Call of Duty shooter on PC.
Modern Warfare's cross-play feature is likely a huge driver for this adoption and will remain a big part of Activision-Blizzard's future games.
"Call of Duty is once again the top selling new premium game of the year, proving the enduring nature of the franchise across console, PC, mobile, and esports," said Bobby Kotick, Activision Blizzard's Chief Executive Officer. "In its first three days of release, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare more than doubled the box office opening of Joker."
- > NEXT STORY: PS4 sales break 100 million, PS Plus subscribers at record high
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Battlefield V content carries through 2020, may get next-gen updates