Indie sensation Risk of Rain 2 keeps racking up sales and becomes an early access force of nature.
With its 4-player chaos, insane bosses, roguelike replayability, and intense strategic co-op action, Risk of Rain 2 is one of the most entertaining games of 2019. Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks so: the game has amassed over 1 million copies sold on Steam while in early access. Hopoo has a bona-fide hit on their hands and the game has earned roughly $20 million in total revenues without even being released yet.
This milestone is tremendous. In just a month's time, Risk of Rain 2 sold as much as the original 2D roguelike Risk of Rain did in 5 years. The last we checked, Risk of Rain 2 sold over 600,000 copies in a single week. Three more weeks brought over 400,000 more sales. Hopoo could keep smashing barriers once it starts rolling out new characters, bosses, items, and maps throughout 2019.
"First off, we are beyond excited to announce that Risk of Rain 2 has surpassed one million sales on Steam alone in the month following our Early Access launch!" said Paul Morse and Duncan Drummond of Hopoo Games.
"To give you guys a little bit of context, it took us almost five years to hit that same number on Steam for Risk of Rain 1. We are so excited to see how many of you are jumping into RoR 2 and bringing your friends with you, thank you all so much."
The game should get even bigger when it drops on multiple platforms in 2020.
Risk of Rain 2 is now available on Steam early access for $20. Check below for more information:
The classic multiplayer roguelike, Risk of Rain, returns with an extra dimension and more challenging action. No run will ever be the same with randomized stages, enemies, bosses, and items. Play solo, or team up with up to four friends to fight your way through hordes of monsters, unlock new loot, and find a way to escape the planet.
With each run, you'll learn the patterns of your foes, and even the longest odds can be overcome with enough skill. A unique scaling system means both you and your foes limitlessly increase in power over the course of a game--what once was a bossfight will in time become a common enemy.
Myriad survivors, items, enemies, and bosses return to Risk 2, and many new ones are joining the fight. Brand new survivors like the Artificer and MUL-T debut alongside classic survivors such as the Engineer, Huntress, and--of course--the Commando. With over 75 items to unlock and exploit, each run will keep you cleverly strategizing your way out of sticky situations.
- Play four player co-op seamlessly through Steam - no more port forwarding
- Unlock over 75 items over time, keeping each run fresh and full of new challenges
- Play and unlock new and returning survivors, each with their own abilities to master
- Theorycraft and exploit endless item and character combos
- Encounter challenging monsters and enormous bosses
- Explore massive, handcrafted 3D levels
- Discover lore through the collection of Monster, Item, and Environment Logs
- Challenge your friends-and the world-in all-new Prismatic Trials, a unique seeded run where everyone can race up a global leaderboard
- >> NEXT STORY: Man swallows AirPod, poops it out, still works normally
- << PREVIOUS STORY: Activision-Blizzard boosts dev headcount by 20%