The same Foxconn worker who sketched out Sony's new upgraded 4K-ready PlayStation 4 "Neo" is back with even more alleged designs of Sony's new console.
An anonymous Foxconn worker's PS4 "Neo" sketches have gone viral, with just about every media outlet under the sun reporting on the leaks. The sketches prompted a number of console mock-ups, and now the Foxconn employee has stepped in to correct the diagrams and give us even more info on the new PlayStation 4's design. For reference, Foxconn is a Taiwanese manufacturer that creates games consoles, handhelds and smartphones--it's made Sony's PlayStation consoles and is currently making the PS4 Neo and Nintendo's new NX, so it's highly likely these reports are correct.
According to the employee, the PlayStation 4 "Neo" is much heavier than the original PS4 (about 4.5kg or 10 pounds) and "stacked in three tiers" like a sandwich, likely to help with heat dissipation.
Remember that Sony's new higher-end PS4 "Neo" will have upgraded hardware to enable 4K games upscaling and native 1080p 60FPS, so that means a beefier GPU (likely based on AMD's new Polaris architecture) and more heat generated, regardless of the power efficiency of AMD's new 14nm Polaris GPUs. (And we all know how hot normal PS4's get!)
Sony is expected to unveil the higher-end upgraded PS4 during its special PlayStation Meeting event on September 7, which starts at 3pm EST. Check below for everything we know about Sony's PS4 "Neo" so far, but remember that most of this information is based on unofficial reports, rumors, and leaks:
Everything we know so far about the PlayStation 4K:
- CPU: 8 Jaguar Cores at 1.6GHz
- GPU: AMD GCN, 18 CUs at 800MHz (equivalent to Radeon HD 7850)
- Memory: 8 GB GDDR5, 176 GB/s
PS4 NEO / PS4K
- CPU: 8 Jaguar Cores at 2.1GHz
- GPU: Improved AMD GCN, 36 CUs at 911MHz (possibly built on heavily customized Polaris10 Ellesmere?)
- Memory: 8 GB GDDR5, 218 GB/s
- PlayStation Neo sketched by Foxconn worker
- Sony's new PlayStation 4K costs $439, coming in October, says Amazon
- Leaked PS4 Neo slides from Sony reveal specs, 4K upscaling strategies
- PS4 Slim coming alongside PS4 Neo, reports claim
- PS4K is a PS4, won't shorten original console's life-cycle, says Sony
- Sony won't reveal PlayStation 4K at Gamescom, maybe at Tokyo Game Show
- Sony officially confirms new 4K-ready PlayStation 4K console
- PS4.5 would play Ultra HD Blu-ray, as well as 4K gaming and VR
- Sony's new PS4 sports 4K upscaling, upgraded CPU, GPU and RAM
- PlayStation 4K will launch before October 2016, says French wholesaler
- New PS4K info coming at TGS 2016, console reveal at Paris Games Week
- PlayStation 4K: Everything you need to know
- Sony's PlayStation Neo won't have exclusive games, shares PS4 library
- Could the PS4K be responsible for Sony's huge PS4 sales forecast?
- Sony's new PlayStation Neo is pissing off lots of developers
- PlayStation Neo games required to run at native 1080p minimum
Last updated: Sep 1, 2017 at 06:05 am CDT
- PlayStation 5 may play thousands of PS4 games at launch
- PS5's boost mode is so powerful that some PS4 games can't handle it
- Coronavirus may delay PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X launch past 2020
- How publishers will approach current-gen on PS5, Xbox Series X
- Xbox Series X may be more powerful, but will third-party devs use it?
- > NEXT STORY: Metal Gear Solid V: The Definitive Experience announced
- < PREVIOUS STORY: AMD's RSCE 16.8.3 drivers out, ready for Battlefield 1