Samsung has confirmed that they are working on a fix for a flaw that allows bypassing of the lock screen. The bug was posted to the internet today and shows a method for bypassing the lock screen, permanently, if you have enough time to download an app from the Play Store.
The steps to reproduce the bug are below:
- From the lock screen, hit the emergency call button.
- Dial a non-existent emergency services number - e.g. 0.
- Press the green dial icon.
- Dismiss the error message.
- Press the phone's back button.
- The app's screen will be briefly displayed.
- This is just about long enough to interact with the app.
- Using this, you can run and interact with any app / widget / settings menu.
- You can also use this to launch the dialler.
- From there, you can dial any phone number (one digit at a time) and place a phone call.
- With Google Play, you can search for apps using the voice interface.
- You can download apps from the app store which will disable the screen lock.
The bug is only present on Samsung's implementation of Android. It doesn't seem to affect the stock build. In a statement, Samsung said, "We are aware of this issue and will release a fix at the earliest possibility. Samsung considers user privacy and the security of user data its top priority."
- >> NEXT STORY: Google 'inadvertently' removed Digg from from its indexes
- << PREVIOUS STORY: RumorTT: Guy Kawasaki hints that Motorola X Phone will be customizable
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.co.uk
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com.au
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.ca
Deutschland: Finde andere Technik- und Computerprodukte wie dieses auf Amazon.de