Welcome to Oros
Far Cry: Primal was quite the surprise when it was first teased in October. The setting alone was so vastly different from anything we've seen before, even if the gameplay only promised to be different, if only for the different tools and weapons available to you. And mostly, it was a refreshing game. Not just because of the infusion of realistic(ish) examples of prehistoric life, but also because when it was released on the PC it actually ran pretty well right from the start.
And even more, is that they've properly evolved the Dunia 2 engine to make way for a much more realistic, and equally unforgiving, dynamic weather system, intelligent AI, more realistic facial expression, better lighting, higher poly-count models, and some fantastic foliage that tends to hide the more dangerous creatures from sight.
It's out now on all platforms and of course, we can't help ourselves from diving in deeply into just how well it performs on a variety of GPU's. The test-bench, too, has been thoroughly updated to be something befitting a performance test of this magnitude.
The below system was used with a variety of GPU's to see just how well they've optimized the game and whether or not it actually performs well. Spoiler alert: it does pretty good on a lot. But one thing we had to do to maintain acceptable framerates is lower the quality preset by one tick for each increase in resolution. The reasoning behind that is to show what it takes to have a consistent and pleasing experience. 4K is a very resource hungry monster, and to tame that, you have to make some sacrifices, even with an NVIDIA GeForce Titan X in the mix. We'll show the highest preset that's playable at a given resolution.
Jeff's Video Game Benchmark Setup
- Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Cooler: Corsair H110 - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Memory: Corsair 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum DDR4 2666MHz - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Storage #1: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Storage #2: SanDisk Extreme Pro 960GB - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Case: Lian Li PC-T80 Open-Air - Buy from Amazon
- Power Supply: Corsair AX1500i - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit - Buy from Amazon
- Drivers: NVIDIA GeForce 362.00 and AMD Crimson 16.2
PRICING: You can find Far Cry: Primal for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Far Cry: Primal retails for $60 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: Far Cry: Primal retails for £55 at Amazon UK.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.