Quality: The VRM might not look impressive on the C9Z390-CG-IW, but it's using some of the highest quality components you will find on any motherboard. Using the 70A Infineon power stages and the server grade Primarion digital PWM controller, the motherboard is actually able of providing an overclock. Supermicro also added in features that most people might not know about, such as HDMI 2.0.
Intel Networking: Supermicro is using not only an Intel wired LAN controller but also the latest Intel Wireless AC controller capable of 1.73Gbps.
USB 3.1: Supermicro's implemented a lot of Intel's latest USB 3.1 (10Gbps) on this motherboard, even when they didn't have too.
USB 2.0: The Supermicro C9Z390-CG-IW doesn't have any internal USB 2.0 headers.
The mini-ITX platform is one of the more challenging ones, and generation after generation Supermicro has been making improvements. For this generation they greatly improved the VRM over that of their Z370 motherboard, added in a lot of USB 3.1 (10Gb/s), and upgraded WIFI. They kept HDMI 2.0a and that's important because it requires another chip, and if you use this motherboard in a HTPC system, HDMI 2.0 is a must for 4K streaming.
We did find some of the layout odd, such as the location of the USB 3.1 type-C internal header, putting both fan headers at the top, and the lack of an internal USb 2.0 header. The price of this motherboard is a bit high, but that's kind of unavoidable when using the quality parts that Supermicro has in the VRM. If you want a solid Z390 mini-ITX motherboard, give this one a look.
Product Summary Breakdown
|Overall TweakTown Rating||92%|
The Bottom Line: Loaded with server-grade components meant to better support the 9900K on this mini-ITX motherboard, the C9Z390-CG-IW is a very high quality product.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United Kingdom: The Supermicro C9Z390-CG-IW (Intel Z390) Motherboard retails for £ at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and C9Z390-CG-IW Overview]
- Page 3 [Supermicro C9Z390-CG-IW Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [Supermicro C9Z390-CG-IW Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Elon Musk wants to 'nuke Mars', DOOM dev will lend him the BFG 10000
- Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion reborn in Skyrim's engine, looks enchanting
- Dragon Age 4 is the 'definitive Dragon Age experience,' producer says
- Authorized antivirus & security keys + Windows 10 Pro for under $12
- BioWare loses another veteran Mass Effect and Dragon Age developer
- GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Xtreme (AMD X570) Motherboard Review
- ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (AMD X570) Motherboard Review
- COLORFUL iGame GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER Vulcan X OC-V Review
- BIOS 5.40 Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4
- Problems during Start Up
- Animoca secures deal with Versus Systems to drive in-game revenue and player engagement
- Viotek Launches LinQ Portable Touchscreen Monitors
- SK hynix Unveils 'Gold S31' Consumer Solid-State Drive on Amazon
- Final Assault coming to PSVR in Q4 2019
- Veteran Video Games Industry Leader Kate Edwards Joins Global Game Jam as Executive Director