Quality: The VRM might not look impressive on the C9Z390-CG-IW, but it's using some of the highest quality components you will find on any motherboard. Using the 70A Infineon power stages and the server grade Primarion digital PWM controller, the motherboard is actually able of providing an overclock. Supermicro also added in features that most people might not know about, such as HDMI 2.0.
Intel Networking: Supermicro is using not only an Intel wired LAN controller but also the latest Intel Wireless AC controller capable of 1.73Gbps.
USB 3.1: Supermicro's implemented a lot of Intel's latest USB 3.1 (10Gbps) on this motherboard, even when they didn't have too.
USB 2.0: The Supermicro C9Z390-CG-IW doesn't have any internal USB 2.0 headers.
The mini-ITX platform is one of the more challenging ones, and generation after generation Supermicro has been making improvements. For this generation they greatly improved the VRM over that of their Z370 motherboard, added in a lot of USB 3.1 (10Gb/s), and upgraded WIFI. They kept HDMI 2.0a and that's important because it requires another chip, and if you use this motherboard in a HTPC system, HDMI 2.0 is a must for 4K streaming.
We did find some of the layout odd, such as the location of the USB 3.1 type-C internal header, putting both fan headers at the top, and the lack of an internal USb 2.0 header. The price of this motherboard is a bit high, but that's kind of unavoidable when using the quality parts that Supermicro has in the VRM. If you want a solid Z390 mini-ITX motherboard, give this one a look.
Product Summary Breakdown
|Overall TweakTown Rating||92%|
The Bottom Line: Loaded with server-grade components meant to better support the 9900K on this mini-ITX motherboard, the C9Z390-CG-IW is a very high quality product.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Supermicro C9Z390-CG-IW (Intel Z390) Motherboard retails for $XXX at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The Supermicro C9Z390-CG-IW (Intel Z390) Motherboard retails for £XXX at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and C9Z390-CG-IW Overview]
- Page 3 [Supermicro C9Z390-CG-IW Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [Supermicro C9Z390-CG-IW Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo could be considering making their own gaming phone
- New Minecraft update adds crossbows, shields, cats and more
- Call of Duty Mobile is Modern Warfare & Black Ops combined
- Castle Crashers smashes its way onto PS4 and Nintendo Switch
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider FINALLY receives RTX/DLSS patch
- ASUS RT-AX88U Wi-Fi 6 Router Review
- MSI GeForce GTX 1660 GAMING X & VENTUS XS Review
- Halloween 4K Blu-ray Review
- GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 (VT-D Support)
- ASUS Zenith Extreme Alpha (AMD X399) Motherboard Review
- Killing Floor: Double Feature Coming May 21, 2019 to PlayStation Store and Game Retailers Near You
- Critically acclaimed retro platformer The Messenger hits PlayStation 4 today
- OMG Zombies! to invade Nintendo Switch on the 26th March!
- LEGO DC Super-Villains Releases Batman: The Animated Series Level Pack
- Super Crome: Bullet Purgatory Enters the Steam Early Access Atmosphere Today