Overclocking Turing & GDDR6
I've had less than 48 hours in total with the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti at the time of writing, with 16-hour days to get all of the benchmarking and writing done. Overclocking took a back seat until I was finished with all of the results and half the review written, but this is something I'll be playing with in subsequent articles after this one. I have experimented of course, I couldn't have the card here and not OC before the review embargo, right?!
I used EVGA PrecisionX1 software (the early reviewer version) which will be different when the full version is out, and MSI's new Afterburner has Turing GPU support but arrived on the tail end of my review. I will have more detail on all of the NVIDIA Scanner-capable OC software apps from EVGA, MSI, ZOTAC and others in the custom reviews, and a round up at the end.
My sample of the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition could be overclocked between 1995-2100MHz, where it would float between that 100MHz stretch of GPU highway depending on the load of the card. I had the voltage at 100% to allow maximum OC (didn't have enough time to balance this all out), and the GDDR6 overclocked by 1000MHz up to 15Gbps total.
After I wrote this part of the review I played with the GDDR6 overclocking a little more and reached 16Gbps (which is quite crazy when you think about it). I have some OC performance of the overclocked RTX 2080 Ti FE that will follow this review, but we're looking at 5-10% more performance on top which is pretty crazy considering how fast the card is at stock clocks.
I had both of the fans on the RTX 2080 Ti FE at 100% to ensure the card was running cool throughout my OC testing, with it hitting 55-59C and maxing out at 60-61C. The card is loud but not as loud as the fully-spun cooler on the Radeon RX Vega 64 or GTX 1080 Ti FE and TITAN Xp graphics cards. I've got a custom ZOTAC GeForce RTX 2080 Ti AMP on-hand and will be testing that card out after this, but I can tell you this much: the custom cooler on the ZOTAC card is incredible, and keeps the Turing GPU even cooler than the Founders Edition.
At the time of writing I only have a few OC results with the RTX 2080 Ti, but I'll have a follow up article in the next 24-48 hours with OC results which are pretty impressive considering the RTX 2080 Ti already kicks the asses of every other graphics card on the market.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Pricing/Availability]
- Page 2 [Specs: Turing GPUs]
- Page 3 [Specs: GDDR6 Memory]
- Page 4 [New Look, New Cooler, New GeForce]
- Page 5 [Detailed Look]
- Page 6 [Turing: NVLink Multi-GPU Tech]
- Page 7 [Turing: RT Cores & Tensor Cores]
- Page 8 [DLSS: Deep Learning Magic & NGX]
- Page 9 [AI To Power The Future Of Gaming]
- Page 10 [WTF IS RTX-OPS]
- Page 11 [GPU Boost 4.0 & NVIDIA Scanner]
- Page 12 [Test System Specs]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Synthetic]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - 1080p]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - 1440p]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - 3440x1440]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - 4K]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - 8K]
- Page 19 [Overclocking]
- Page 20 [Heat, Power, Noise]
- Page 21 [Unrivaled Performance]
- Page 22 [More Coming Soon & Final Thoughts 1.0]
- Page 23 [Should You Buy It? & Final Thoughts 2.0]
- Page 24 [What Will AMD Do & Final Thoughts 3.0]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Far Cry New Dawn official PC requirements released
- 2K and NBA to smooth over $1b rights extension deal
- Death Stranding demo leaves Guerrilla Games 'so impressed'
- Capcom showcase 'Tofu' in Resident Evil 2 Remake screenshots
- COD: Black Ops 4 - Blackout Battle Royale mode goes F2P
- Pcie M.2 NVMe (1100mb/s as storage, 400mb/s in os)
- DC: Aquaman Cinema Review
- Nokia's Service Operations Center powers Telefonica UK's drive towards customer-centric operations
- Black Desert Online's Battle Royale mode enters Early Access today
- Roblox hires British online safety expert Laura Higgins to lead new digital civility initiative
- HyperX Announces 2019 We're All Gamers Ad Campaign Including Celebrity Influencers Post Malone, Gordon Hayward, Joel Embiid, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Pokimane, Shroud, Daigo, De'Aaron Fox and Rush
- Macrotis: A Mother's Journey Releases this upcoming February 8th!