We used 3200MHz Kingston 8GB SO-DIMMs at default JEDEC speeds during testing, but we turned them up during overclocking. We also have an Optane 118GB OS drive and a 512GB Intel 545S series M.2 drive for game storage.
The lid lights up, and you actually have control over the colors of the eyes and skull. You can use Intel's Windows-based software, or the UEFI LED control menu to change the color or disable all LEDs. It's quite fun to see an Intel branded Radeon installer.
CPU, Memory, System, and Graphics Benchmarks
AIDA64 AES and HASH
UNIGINE Heaven 4.0
Resident Evil 6
Ashes of the Singulatiry: Escalation
Rise Of The Tomb Raider
Other SFFPCs don't even stand a chance against the new Hades Canyon NUC; it demolishes them in pretty much everything. The exceptions are the small form factor PCs that pack in full desktop hardware like the DeskMini, which has a GTX 1080 MXM card and a desktop i7-8700. CPU performance was better than expected, it even does well against the i7-8700 desktop CPU in the desk mini.
We went ahead and compared the new NUC against actual gaming PCs rather than SFFPCs, and it holds up well, somewhat better than expected. GTA:V was fully playable, even up to 1440P, and we barely god 60 FPS on Ashes, but that is to be expected as it's a very demanding game. The new NUC delivers anywhere from 2-4x the gaming performance of the Skull Canyon NUC, and that is an impressive feat to pull off with the form factor constraints.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and System]
- Page 3 [Teardown of the NUC8i7HVK]
- Page 4 [BIOS]
- Page 5 [Test Setup and Benchmarks]
- Page 6 [System and IO Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [Temperature and Power Consumption]
- Page 8 [Overclocking]
- Page 9 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Respawn: Apex Legends isn't viable without high priced skins
- Halo 6 creative director leaves, should we be concerned?
- New Obi-Wan Star Wars show coming on Disney+, Ewan McGregor to star
- Epic Games Store is changing for the better
- Destiny 2's crunch will help streamline Destiny 3
- GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Xtreme (AMD X570) Motherboard Review
- ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (AMD X570) Motherboard Review
- COLORFUL iGame GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER Vulcan X OC-V Review
- BIOS 5.40 Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4
- Problems during Start Up
- Animoca secures deal with Versus Systems to drive in-game revenue and player engagement
- Viotek Launches LinQ Portable Touchscreen Monitors
- SK hynix Unveils 'Gold S31' Consumer Solid-State Drive on Amazon
- Final Assault coming to PSVR in Q4 2019
- Veteran Video Games Industry Leader Kate Edwards Joins Global Game Jam as Executive Director