Teardown of the DeskMini GTX1080
We have now started our teardown; the first step was to remove the MXM GPU (not that simple so please don't try it). The second was to remove the stock ASRock cooler, which is more than enough for the 65W i7-8700.
I also removed the two VRM heat sinks and PCH heat sink from the motherboard and the GPU's heat sink. The GPU's memory is being cooled by two large dense heat pads. There is a lot of pressure between the VRM heat sinks and MOSFETs.
Now we have the motherboard in its glory, all bare and such. The GPU is now also bare, and we can see what it has under the hood.
The motherboard features an RGB LED header! You can light up the inside of the unit with a single strip. There is also a speaker header (not used), front panel header, and two USB 2.0 headers on the motherboard (only one used). The motherboard also features two fan headers, only one is used.
The CPU VRM is now a 5+1 phase VRM and uses the same Fairchild Semiconductor FDPC5030 PowerTrench Power Clip dual N-channel MOSFETs we see on ASRock's high-end motherboards, each is rated for 25A. At the rear of the motherboard, we find a surprise; Intersil's brand new digital 7 phase PWM. Each phase is controlled by an Intersil ISL6596 driver; there is no phase doubling.
The GPU's VRM is controlled by an ON Semiconductor NCP81274, which is common with newer NVIDIA cards and supports up to 8 phases. The five-phase GPU VRM uses 50A ON Semiconductor NCP5339 DrMOS units. The GPU's memory VRM uses ON Semiconductor dual N-channel MOSFETs in a two-phase configuration.
Audio comes from an ALC233, which connects to the front panel headphone and microphone jacks. We also find that ASRock has used an ASRock i219v NIC for the Gbit LAN.
A nuvoton NCT5567D is used as the SuperIO on the motherboard that does system management as well as fan control. A nuvoton N76E885AT is ASRock's RGB LED controller we find on their other motherboards, and the Texas Instruments TPS259261 eFuse is also there to ensure any polarity issue with the RGB header doesn't cause damage.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and System]
- Page 3 [Teardown of the ASRock DeskMini GTX1080]
- Page 4 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks]
- Page 6 [Temperature and Power Consumption]
- Page 7 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Rainbow Six Siege free-to-play trail beginning August 16th
- Rune: Ragnarok receives teaser trailer, screenshots & PC req
- Hi-Rez Studios announces creation of 3 distinct new studios
- Team17 announce New Game+ for Overcooked 2
- Dark Souls Remastered arrives on the Nintendo Switch Oct 19
- TRENDnet TWC-L10 Wi-Fi Light Bulb Security Camera Review
- Buy (3 Pieces) Samsung Galaxy Note9/S9/S9+/S8+ New $900
- Buy (2Pieces) Samsung Galaxy Note9/S9/S9+/S8+ New $800
- Fnatic miniSTREAK Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Buy (20 Pieces) Apple iPhone 8 Plus/8/7 Plus/7/6s Plus New $2000
- Legendary Actor Patrick Stewart To Narrate My Memory of Us
- Hi-Rez Studios Establishes New Development Studios, Strengthens Publishing Position
- Guardians of the Sky Arrives for TERA PC with Aerial Content and Limited Time Loot
- Lian Li Fuse Classic Brushed Aluminum and Modern RGB Lighting with new LANCOOL ONE Chassis
- Samsung's 16Gb GDDR6 Memory Powers Latest NVIDIA Quadro Professional Graphics Solution