A lot of the focus over the years has been on desktop NAS appliances. Now with home labs becoming more popular many of you and even myself have shown interest in rackmount solutions as they have the capability to save space.
The RS217 is Synology's two-bay entry-level appliance for the rackmount market. This solution features a 1U form factor built on the Marvell Armada platform offering dual-Gbe NICs capable of 221 MB/s read and 171 MB/s write utilizing link aggregation while being eco-friendly at 12.9W in hibernation and 21 watts full access.
Taking things further, Synology has taken the 1U form factor and compacted it down to 12 inches deep allowing this unit to be mounted in two-post or wall mount racks where space is at a premium. The icing on the cake comes in the form of DSM or DiskStation Manager which offers a premium desktop platform for managing your NAS with File Station, Cloud Station, and Surveillance Station to name a few.
Hardware specifications start with the Marvell Armada 385 dual-core SoC operating at 1.33GHz paired with 512MB of DDR3. This is connected to two SATA 6Gb/s bays compatible with both 2.5" and 3.5" hard drives and SSDs. Further, we have a maximum appliance capacity at 24TB using 12TB drives, and a single volume capacity of 16TB all while being hot swappable.
On the LAN side, we have two Gbe NICs supporting link aggregation and failover while additional connectivity comes in the form of a single USB 2.0 port, dual USB 3.0 ports, and a single eSATA port.
File System support includes EXT4 for internal drives while externally you can use EXT3 and 4, FAT and NTFS. exFAT is supported by purchasing the package in-app center and HFS+ is only supported up to 2TB read only.
The MSRP for the Synology RackStation RS217 comes in at $469.99 with a three-year warranty.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Synology RS217 Two-Bay RackStation retails for $XXX at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The Synology RS217 Two-Bay RackStation retails for £XXX at Amazon UK.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo Switch sells 1.5 million units last month
- Epic Games doubts the success of their own MOBA Paragon
- Age of Empires: Definitive Edition will release next month
- Hasselblad's new camera snaps 400-megapixel photos
- Crytek starts sign-ups for Hunt: Showdown closed Alpha
- The GIGABYTE Z370N WIFI (Intel Z370) Motherboard Review
- noblechairs ICON Series Real Leather Gaming Chair Review
- GIGABYTE X299 Designare EX (Intel X299) Motherboard Review
- Realtek sound not working all of a sudden
- Intel Z370 Motherboard Buyer's Guide
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series