Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing
Since the days of being forced to sit at a desk to enjoy your favorite PC games, technology has evolved, and as you get older, you tend to have more disposable income to remedy this situation. These factors have taken what used to be a gamer stuck to a desk, and has sent it to the living room, much like console gamers have been doing for years. While it is not hard to find a chassis to blend in with the aesthetics of the rest of your media center, balancing a keyboard and mouse on your lap is something no gamer should have to deal with. To combat the ghetto mods users may have to come up with, or having to hunch over a coffee table, many manufacturers have brought forth what they think is the best solution, which is some form of a lap desk.
We have seen a few of these designs in the past, but not until we looked at our latest submission did we see a major issue with those. While products such as the LAPDOG and the SOVA MK Lapboard are all well and good for combatting the balancing act, they are exceptionally low and may cause users discomfort with prolonged usage. While we tended not to game with our samples for hours on end, and typically type with a keyboard in our lap, we did not experience this as much. However, once we got to using this new submission, it was instantly apparent that adding height to the product makes for a more relaxed and much more enjoyable usage of such a product.
Steiger Dynamics, one of the only retailers of this product in the US was kind enough to send us a CouchMaster Cycon Lap Desk to spend some time with. The idea here is to make gaming on the couch as pleasurable as possible, and with what you are about to see, it is easy to tell that Nerdytec addresses things that the other solutions never thought of, and had they, the products have no way of offering many of them with current designs. For those of you looking to make a move from the desk to the living room, but are uncertain of which avenue to take in purchasing a lap desk, we wholeheartedly urge you to have a look at what Nerdytec is up to, and enjoy couch gaming with ergonomics and customization in mind.
In the charts we borrowed from Steiger Dynamics, we are shown all of the bells and whistles of what the CouchMaster Cycon is all about. In the package contents list, we find that this product is designed with a 4-port USB 3.0 hub, and is designed without the need for external power. Connecting the hub to whatever PC you are gaming on, Nerdytec provides a five-meter, or sixteen-foot cable, which is an active extension cable to boot. Built in Germany, the lap desk offers an ergonomic design and outstanding build quality, which can be used universally with any peripherals on the market. The Cycon offers internal cable management within accessible compartments, and to support your arms and wrists, there are large foam cushions covered in real leather. The Cycon is plug-and-play ready for the most part, and can not only be used on the couch but is also a perfect solution to use while in bed as well.
There is no doubt that this is the largest lap desk of any we have seen so far. Making up the Cycon are three components, there is a pair of padded sides, and the desk area which is supported by them. Each "arm" of the lap desk is 190mm tall, they are 600mm long, and are 230mm wide. The desk surface is 840mm from side to side, and it is 350mm from front to back, but it does not have to rest on the outside edge of the "arms." The reason this is so, is that the user can define how the components are arranged, as they are held together with Velcro that you need to install yourself. We can also see there is a pouch on the left side of the Cycon for storing whatever you see fit, and another smaller pouch on the front, which is intended to contain the mouse when the desk is not in use.
If you were to look to purchase the CouchMaster Cycon, Nerdytec will sell them, but not on this side of the pond. Although, while there, we did see the MSRP of €159.99, but currently they have it on sale for €149.99. For our needs, as well as anyone else on this side of the big blue ball, when it comes to grabbing one, this is where Steiger Dynamic steps in. It is there where we would be buying the Cycon at $159.99. Amazon does show a listing, but is currently unavailable, and has no price listed. Comparing the cost to others we have seen, this falls in the middle, where the LAPDOG is $79.99 now, and the SOVA MK is near $180. Of course, ROCCAT includes the keyboard, where neither of the others includes any form of peripherals. Also, keep in mind, there is a slew of add-on products for the CouchMaster Cycon, which can be attached to this product to fully include mobile devices, as well as offering a mountable ashtray.
Chad's Peripherals Test System Specifications
- Motherboard: ASUS X99-E WS - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- CPU: Intel Core i7 5930K - Buy from Amazon
- Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Memory: KLevv Cras DDR4 3000 - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Video Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Matrix Platinum - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Storage: Intel 730 480GB - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Case: SilverStone TJ11 - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Power Supply: Corsair AX1200 - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 64-bit - Buy from Amazon
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United Kingdom: The Nerdytec CouchMaster Cycon retails for £XXX at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging, Accessories, and Documentation]
- Page 3 [Nerdytec CouchMaster Cycon]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo signals 3DS retirement, ignores it in presentation
- Switch digital revenue nearly doubles, software up 86%
- Death Stranding creator meets Robert De Niro at Tribeca 2019
- Mortal Kombat 11's Director says '$6440 story' is BULLSH*T
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate overtakes Wii U console sales
- ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha.....blocked mounting hole
- OWC 10Gbe Thunderbolt 3 Review
- did the old ivy bridge overclock issue on z68 boards ever get fixed?
- LED strip always on even after PC off?
- Netgear Orbi Pro Ceiling Review
- Carpe Diem! Imperator: Rome Available Now
- Garth Brooks Makes Mobile Game Debut in Words With Friends, Announces Final Pre-Order Window for The Legacy Collection
- Nexile releases new trailer for Jump King along with release date
- World War Z - The zombie apocalypse is frantic, frightening - and fun - in the World War Z Reaction Trailer!
- Focus Home Interactive Q4 2018 - 2019 Earnings!