In February, we had the amazing opportunity to look at the all-flash NAS FS3017 from Synology. Coming from that review, I knew it was time to make our entire test network 10Gbe compatible as 10Gbe is on the horizon of becoming mainstream. With that, I reached out to some friends and came away with the Netgear XS708T, which now operates as the backbone for the test network. This came in handy when Synology launched the DS1517+ just a few short months ago, the unit they had sent over was outfitted with SFP+ capabilities meaning it was time to start our journey with 10Gbe NAS solutions.
The DS1517+ is the latest five bay Workgroup / Small Business NAS solution from Synology. This unit supports drive expansion allowing a total of fifteen drives with two DX517 expansion units. Additional capabilities include expansion to 10Gbe via the Mellanox ConnectX SFP+ solution that Synology has provided with our unit. There is also the option of adding in a dual m.2 PCIe card in place of the 10Gbe. Of course, this platform is powered by DSM6, with our testing is done on version 6.1.1.
Hardware specifications start off with the Intel Atom C2538, a Rangeley platform solution operating at 2.4GHz over four cores. This CPU features a 64-bit architecture and hardware encryption engine. The DS1517+ comes with two flavors of memory capacity. A 2GB model and 8GB model both are expandable up to 16GB via the SO-DIMM slots. As mentioned above, this is a five-bay unit with an additional ten bays of expansion available to it. It supports both 2.5" and 3.5" HDDs and 2.5" SSDs.
Maximum raw capacity sits at 50TB using 10TB drives and 150TB with dual five bay expansions. The single volume capacity limit is 108TB while being hot swappable. LAN connectivity includes four Gbe ports found on the back of the unit while four USB 3.0 and two eSATA ports are available. There is one PCIe slot available for expansion using a Gen 2 x4 interface giving 2GB/s of available throughput.
The MSRP for the Synology DS1517+ 8GB comes in at $799 with a three-year warranty. You can tack on three more bays and grab up the DS1817+ for $949.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Synology DS1517+ SMB 10Gbe NAS retails for $XXX at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The Synology DS1517+ SMB 10Gbe NAS retails for £XXX at Amazon UK.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Kotal Kahn gets bodied in his own Mortal Kombat 11 reveal
- Heavy Rain/Detroit: Become Human will release on Epic Store
- Epic Games announces $100 million grant program
- Smash Bros. Ultimate pro-player storms out of tournament
- Remedy's new game Control is Epic Games exclusive for 1 year
- Logitech G603 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- Aorus master or stutter master?
- Getting SSD to boot
- Seagate Game Drive PS4 2TB Review
- LoanCare, a ServiceLink Company, Announces New Chief Information Officer
- Giada Adds AMD Ryzen-Powered DM6 To High-Performance Signage Player Series
- Slay Time - Hack and Slash MMORPG Guardians of Ember Enters Open Beta
- Nokia Commits US$750K to Support the Work of the Internet Engineering Task Force
- The global installed base of airport asset tracking systems will reach 0.4 million units in 2023