In February, we had the amazing opportunity to look at the all-flash NAS FS3017 from Synology. Coming from that review, I knew it was time to make our entire test network 10Gbe compatible as 10Gbe is on the horizon of becoming mainstream. With that, I reached out to some friends and came away with the Netgear XS708T, which now operates as the backbone for the test network. This came in handy when Synology launched the DS1517+ just a few short months ago, the unit they had sent over was outfitted with SFP+ capabilities meaning it was time to start our journey with 10Gbe NAS solutions.
The DS1517+ is the latest five bay Workgroup / Small Business NAS solution from Synology. This unit supports drive expansion allowing a total of fifteen drives with two DX517 expansion units. Additional capabilities include expansion to 10Gbe via the Mellanox ConnectX SFP+ solution that Synology has provided with our unit. There is also the option of adding in a dual m.2 PCIe card in place of the 10Gbe. Of course, this platform is powered by DSM6, with our testing is done on version 6.1.1.
Hardware specifications start off with the Intel Atom C2538, a Rangeley platform solution operating at 2.4GHz over four cores. This CPU features a 64-bit architecture and hardware encryption engine. The DS1517+ comes with two flavors of memory capacity. A 2GB model and 8GB model both are expandable up to 16GB via the SO-DIMM slots. As mentioned above, this is a five-bay unit with an additional ten bays of expansion available to it. It supports both 2.5" and 3.5" HDDs and 2.5" SSDs.
Maximum raw capacity sits at 50TB using 10TB drives and 150TB with dual five bay expansions. The single volume capacity limit is 108TB while being hot swappable. LAN connectivity includes four Gbe ports found on the back of the unit while four USB 3.0 and two eSATA ports are available. There is one PCIe slot available for expansion using a Gen 2 x4 interface giving 2GB/s of available throughput.
The MSRP for the Synology DS1517+ 8GB comes in at $799 with a three-year warranty. You can tack on three more bays and grab up the DS1817+ for $949.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Synology DS1517+ SMB 10Gbe NAS retails for $XXX at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The Synology DS1517+ SMB 10Gbe NAS retails for £XXX at Amazon UK.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- GIVEAWAY: IN WIN 101 Mid-Tower Case and Polaris RGB Fan Pack
- North Korea hijacking cryptocurrency industry workers
- Ataribox pre-orders on hold, team needs more time
- Win a 'Simpsons: Season 18' DVD for Christmas!
- CS:GO's new Survival mode sounds like Battlegrounds
- IN WIN POLARIS Silent RGB PWM Case Fan Review
- IN WIN 101 Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- old version of bios for asrock z77 extreme 3
- SAPPHIRE Radeon RX Vega 64 NITRO Review: 3 x 8-pin PCIe?!
- Patriot Viper V570 Blackout Gaming Mouse Review
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series