Over the past few months, I rise in the morning to test out Ryzen, and I am not joking. While most of the hardware I tested pre-Ryzen launch was almost 100% Intel based, it's now actually more on the AMD side.
AMD is the comeback kid, and they are slowly releasing their entire lineup, with rumors flying around that their Ryzen 3 series processors destined to target Intel's Core i3 processors will come out later this year.
I have reviewed the 1800X, 1700X, 1700, 1600X, and 1500X, and today I will look at another one of their 6 core/12 thread CPUs the Ryzen 5 1600 and the 4 core/8 thread Ryzen 5 1400.
Compared to the 1600X, the 1600 has a base frequency 400MHz lower at 3.2GHz, and 100MHz lower on the boost at 3.6GHz. It doesn't feature XFR like it's bigger brother, but also has a TDP 30W lower at 65W. With 6 cores and 12 threads, the 1600 has the same amount of cache and is almost identical to the 1600X except for the clocks and XFR.
The Ryzen 5 1400 has a 65W TDP, but I found it uses a lot less power than other 65W TDP Ryzen processors. Its 4 cores and 8 threads run at 3.2GHz base and 3.4Ghz Max Turbo, which is 400MHz and 300MHz lower than the 1500X's base and turbo speeds. It also doesn't offer XFR. While the AMD Ryzen 5 1600 has 16MB L3 cache, the Ryzen 5 1400 has 4MB.
The Ryzen 5 1600 and 1500 cost $219.99 and $169.99, respectively.
For comparison, the Ryzen 5 1500X costs $189.99, and the 1600X costs $249.99, the Ryzen 7 1700 costs $314.99, so the cost savings are significant.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [The CPUs and Packaging]
- Page 3 [Test Setup]
- Page 4 [Out of the Box Performance: CINEBENCH, wPrime, and AIDA64]
- Page 5 [Out of the Box Performance: Handbrake Video Transcoding, ScienceMark, and SuperPI]
- Page 6 [Out of the Box Synthetic Gaming Performance: UNIGINE and 3DMark]
- Page 7 [Out of the Box Gaming Performance: Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, GTA:V, Ashes of the Singularity]
- Page 8 [Overclocking and Power Consumption]
- Page 9 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]