The Bottom Line
As our smart devices become more advanced, shooting high-resolution photos and video at 4K and above, the need for storage has never been more important. For those that use their smartphone for this activity, you will quickly realize how quick you can fill a 64 or 128GB phone.
The Lexar M20i is part of the new JumpDrive lineup that includes OTG solutions for Android and iOS. The "I" in the model number indicates the drive is for Apple iOS including iPhone and iPad or anything with a Lightning connector. Capacity options range from 16 to 64GB with performance numbers at 95 MB/s read and 20 MB/s write. To manage the file system on iOS, Lexar makes use of the popular Photofast app. Compatibility includes both PC and Mac systems over USB 3.0.
MSRP of the Lexar JumpDrive M20i in the 32GB capacity is set at $79.99 with a three-year warranty.
The packaging carries Lexar branding at the top with the storage capacity to the right. On the left side, we have mention of the Lighting connector, while the bottom shows support for iPhone and iPad.
The back of the packaging mentions a few use cases for the drive while showing the sliding action of the drive.
Above, we have our first look at the drive with the Lightning connector exposed.
Sliding the drive to the USB connection we have the image above.
Upon plugging in the M20i, we were greeted by the app warning above.
The app, seen above in the app store is the same app we have seen used for all iOS flash solutions to date.
Once inside the app you have your in-app storage on the left side and the M20i to the right. Down below everything is categorized between music, photo, video among others.
In the settings menu, the app has options for cloud storage including Dropbox and video apps for YouTube and Vimeo.
In testing the M20i, we found the drive capable of 90 MB/s read and 19 MB/s write.
Looking at this drive in Anvils, it comes in with a score of 307.83.
Price/Performance for this iOS solution sets at 87%, 7% behind the Android solution.
I have seen quite a few of these iOS flash solutions come through in the last few months and for me I find the M20i to be a mid-range solution. The build quality feels a bit hollow, and I had issues on several occasions with the sliding mechanism. With that said, Lexar has always been at the top of my list for reliability as I have had many drives over the years and not one has failed during use.
The performance of the M20i met my expectations while coming very close to matching the marketing numbers. On my Windows 10 test machine, I was able to reach 90 MB/s read and nearly 20 MB/s write, which sets it right in with the average performance of similar solutions. Price/Performance put this drive at 87% mostly due to its rather high price per GB, while Anvil's Storage Benchmark stressed the drive pretty good coming out with a 278 read and 29 write score.
Overall, the Lexar JumpDrive M20i carries a decent amount of performance, but my honest opinion is this solution is fit for those looking for reliability, which is noted in the price.
Tyler's Test System Specifications
- Motherboard: ASUS Z97-A - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Memory: Patriot Viper 3 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600 - Buy from Amazon
- Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Storage: Intel 730 480GB - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower 750W - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- OS: Microsoft Windows 10 - Buy from Amazon
|Quality including Design and Build||80%|
|Bundle and Packaging||80%|
|Value for Money||75%|
The Bottom Line: Lexar's JumpDrive M20i is a solid performing iOS flash drive with the reliability of Lexar behind it, including a three-year warranty.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.co.uk
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com.au
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.ca
Deutschland: Finde andere Technik- und Computerprodukte wie dieses auf Amazon.de
- First PCIe Gen5 SSDs with 10 GB/s of read speed are on sale in Japan
- GALAX launches its beefy and over-the-top 666W RTX 4090 HOF Edition for $2579
- AMD post makes the Radeon RX 6000 RDNA 2 generation look like better value
- Sony unveils two new Walkman players, the iconic 1980s device still going strong
- Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 brings Mini LED and TV tech to a 43-inch 4K display
- Deepcool CH510 Mesh Digital Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- TEAM T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-7200 32GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- Lian Li Lancool 205 Mesh C Chassis Review, a $90 Micro Center exclusive
- ASRock B650 Live Mixer AM5 Motherboard Review
- Acer Predator GM7 1TB SSD Review - High Speed Flash
- Phison E26 B58R 1,600MT 2TB SSD Preview - PCIe Gen5 storage is here
- Silicon Motion SM2267XT DRAMless Laptop SSD Preview - Speed and Efficiency
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 Unboxed: FE, ASUS, MSI and ZOTAC
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 OC Shootout: ASUS, COLORFUL, FE, MSI, GAINWARD
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Unboxed: FE, ASUS ROG Strix, MSI SUPRIM LIQUID